List of Engines that could go in a YJ - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > List of Engines that could go in a YJ

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 01-12-2003, 09:51 PM   #1
thecarman

List of Engines that could go in a YJ

What engines would fit in my 94 YJ - assuming you had to swap out rest of drivetrain so it would work?

Unread 01-12-2003, 10:01 PM   #2
rustyCJ

i dont understand the question. if you are going to swap out the entire driveline you could put almost anything in your jeep. i have even seen a caddy 500 under a jeep hood. if you can imagine it there is prolly a way to do it.
Unread 01-12-2003, 10:27 PM   #3
Gator

just about anything can be swapped, Seen a Dodge V10 in a Yj & a Tj, 500 Caddy's, 426 Hemi, Dodge R/T 440 Magnum, any Chevy BB, 396 through a 540 can fit, Ford 289,320,351

now getting into Technicall aspect of it, which ones lighter, more common, Carbs or EFI, easier to find parts for

what are you wanting to do ?
Gator is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2003, 09:42 AM   #4
CSP

Just about anything is possible with the right tools and "know-how". Your question is about as loaded as it could possibly be. What engine could be used all depends on how much fab and retrofit knowledge you have, not on physical limitations of the engine or Jeep.
CSP is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2003, 05:40 PM   #5
thecarman

Yeah you are right. You can put anything in it with the right know how. Thanks for the replies!
Unread 01-13-2003, 07:22 PM   #6
thecarman

I am just thinking about putting in a pretty light V8 of some sort, preferrably Chevy, perhaps a Ford. I want something fairly inexpensive and parts that are easier to come by and are cheaper. Which would you all suggest?
Unread 01-13-2003, 07:25 PM   #7
Gator

Ford 5.0 , its weighs about 450 lbs, Chevy 350's weigh 575
5.0 is narrower which makes it easier than the 350 for installing
Unread 01-13-2003, 07:39 PM   #8
thecarman

Quote:
Originally posted by Gator
Ford 5.0 , its weighs about 450 lbs, Chevy 350's weigh 575
5.0 is narrower which makes it easier than the 350 for installing
That's out of the older mustangs isn't it? How much do you think it'd run me? What type of tranny and rest of drivetrain parts would I need?
Unread 01-13-2003, 09:27 PM   #9
CSP

Sounds like this swap is a little over your head. Your questions aren't even beginning to touch on the complexities of an engine swap. With the right experience it's no big deal, but you're asking about the most basic things. I know you gotta start somewhere and ask questions along the way, but an engine/drivetrain swap isn't the place to start.
Unread 01-15-2003, 10:12 AM   #10
Scrambler82
1982 CJ8 

thecarman,

Installing the 5.0L in a Jeep will require a lot, of time, money and mechanical/electrical knowledge as stated in earlier posts.

The 5.0 Ford make a good engine because of its weight and size, check the size/weight of the original six and you will be surprized on the comparision.

A low mileage engine with all of the accessories and the engine/computer harness could run you in the $1500/$2000 range; if you know someone at a Salvage Yard maybe less.

Then there are the adapters, engine mounts, transmission to bellhousing and if using a Ford trans maybe a T/C adapter.

Now we look at the driveshafts, exhaust and last but not least you need to know the electrical system of the Jeep to connect theta right wire from the Ford Harness to the Jeep Harness.
(I may have a booklet on that subject, I will look if you want a number or a copy).
Not to mention the radiator, clutch linkage if manual and a number of other small things that will crop up.

As you can see, it is not just bolt it in and wham bam thank you drive it away.

If you are knowledgeable in all of the above trades or can get a few friends together who know how to do this type of work then you might just get it in and running. If not then think about it first, before you leap.

Luck,

Do it right the first time !
Scrambler82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2003, 05:42 PM   #11
thecarman

Yeah I am in way over my head, how much easier would be swapping in just a 4.0L? Any special drivetrain swapping or fabrication involved? And if so be specific of everything you'd need other than perhaps the engine and computer.
Unread 01-15-2003, 05:51 PM   #12
Gator

Quote:
Originally posted by thecarman
Yeah I am in way over my head, how much easier would be swapping in just a 4.0L? Any special drivetrain swapping or fabrication involved? And if so be specific of everything you'd need other than perhaps the engine and computer.
are you running a 4 cyl ? it is the same amount of work swapping a 4.0 as it is a V8. reason being the wiring harnesses arent the same, Tranny isnt the same, even down to the Tailshaft spline count isnt the same even tho its the same Tcase Np231
i even think the intank fuel pump isnt the same from the 2.5L to the 4.0L , Radiator isnt the same either... baiscally NOTHING is the same between the 4 cyl to a 4.0L

if you have a 258 & want to swap to EFI from a efi thats fairly simple... but overall conversions are costly & time consuming

a v8 can be swapped fairly cheap but you have to do your homework & search junkyards for good deals or through local 4x4 clubs or freinds
search through the forum all this info is here from what will & wont swap
Unread 01-16-2003, 11:14 PM   #13
mad_scientist

just about anything and everything if the pocketbook allows.

good pics:

4.0L , can add supercharger, stroker kits, or stock bottom end with added extras to make 260hp or so

4.2 L... great for torque... can also make decent horse out of it too 200+

ford 302 - relatively light and powerful

chevy 350
Unread 02-21-2003, 01:26 PM   #14
Jrod-13

I also second the 5.0 EFI motor

They came in the 87-93 mustangs, 86+ lincoln mark VII's, and in some thunderbirds.

Just look for the whole car, I paid $200 for a running, driving 89' lincoln. The car had 165K on it when I bought it, it now has over 200K, doesnt burn a drop of oil, runs great. These motors are good for 200K easy in most cases.
The H.O. motor is also a roller motor, and from 87-93 had forged pistons. Specs are 225HP, 300ftlbs.

If you buy a complete car, it will either have a T-5 5 speed stick, or a AOD automatic. either one can probably be adapted to fit the jeep T-case. You best bet though is to find a T-18 four speed tranny from a 80's ford truck. It will be a better tranny for offroading.

I would think that the whole swap could be done for under $1000 easily, probably cheaper.

89 F-150 359W, 600 holley, headman, ported heads, T-18, Ford 9", spool, 5" lift, 35" bfg KM MT

84 broncoII 302, 600 holley, 484"cam, jacobs, ladder bars, fender exits.
Jrod-13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2003, 05:51 PM   #15
CSP

Quote:
Originally posted by Jrod-13
I would think that the whole swap could be done for under $1000 easily, probably cheaper.
You haven't priced transfer case adapters yet have you? How about the probable possibility of new driveshafts when the transfer case doesn't end up in the same spot that it was in. Then there's fuel delivery and exhaust. How much are you paying for the donor engine anyhow? Does it come complete with the necessary wiring harness for the EFI? I've done a few V8 swaps both Ford and Chevy and never have been able to do one for under $3500. I pick up low mileage EFI engines for about $750 and do all of the work myself including building my own wiring harnesses.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.