Limited slip rearend - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Limited slip rearend

All Bilstein shocks & struts - Lowest Prices Ever and Santa Kolak Announces: Kolak Exhaust 20% Off Sale!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 02-01-2014, 03:08 PM   #1
BobKnake
Betty Blue "97"

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Limited slip rearend

Tossing around the idea of putting in a limited slip rear end.

While a locker would be great, not sure it would be practical financially for me.

I think a limited slip would perfect

Anyone added it to the rear axle?
Thoughts

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum

Unread 02-01-2014, 04:17 PM   #2
rjbruzan
2004 TJ Wrangler 

A limited slip will be an advantage in snow,sand or wet grass giving traction to both wheels. It containes clutches that eventually wear out. If a wheel is off the ground most power will go to the wheel off the ground. A better solution is a True Trac. This is a geared limited slip(no clutches). It will act better but still not like a locker. The automatic locker is best when a wheel is off the ground but very annoying on hard pavement. I believe the True Trac is an excellent choice that will be invisible until needed. I especially like one in the front axle. Once again completely invisible until needed.

Ron

Its like a fart in a windstorm
It smells good but thats about it

Registered Six Offender
Home of the Buzzin Half Dozen
rjbruzan is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-01-2014, 04:28 PM   #3
fastfreddie

Personal opinions...

A locker is actually cheaper unless you go for one that requires actuation to engage...ARB, E-locker, Ox, etc.

The issue with LSDs(Limited Slip Differential) is the clutch-pack, it will wear out, eventually. They're pre-set for tension and require special lubricant for proper function.
More tension = less drivability, more function, more wear.
Less tension = more drivability, less function, less wear.

I had an XJ with the factory LSD(Trac-Lok). It was pretty capable. Still functioning at 70K when I rolled it. No idea what the pre-set tension was...

My WJ has the Vari-Loks, f/r. It's a clutch-pack LSD but only engages the clutch-pack when called upon = more drivability, more function, less wear(virtually none).
I've yet to have an issue with 150K+ miles.

The front and rear set-up on the WJ put the rear only on the XJ to shame but the rear only put open diffs to shame. (I also had an XJ w/ open diffs.)
Open diffs is what you have when you have an on/off locker and it isn't engaged.

LSDs cover the the gap between the extremes of driving situations really well. On the street, they do particularly well in the snow, ice and rain. In those conditions, an engaged locker could be a liability and opens are relatively inadequate.

Full lockers might put LSDs to shame when they're needed but, IMO, they're an everyday pain.
ARBs or E-lockers give you the capability when you need it but offer less than an LSD when you don't.

I don't want lockers of any kind. My new JK will have Truetracs, f/r. Mechanical LSDs with no appreciably wearing parts. It will always be engaged and functioning, similar to the Vari-Loks, but no special lube additives required.
I'll install 'em and fuhgeddaboudit.

You'll be doin' yourself a favor. It's the one modification everyone seems to overlook when wanting to make their Jeep more all around capable. They jump straight to lockers for the uncompromising delivery of power to both sides of the axle that's only desirable in a select and limited range of situations.
fastfreddie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-01-2014, 04:59 PM   #4
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Limited Slip is not plug and play. A Limited Slip install requires checking and setting the gear pattern and differential shims. Some specialized tools and technical skills are needed for the install.

A LockRight type locker that installs in place of the differential spider gears is the cheapest traction option. It is plug and play, and can be installed the driveway with a simple assortment of hand tools.

As already suggested, a mostly stock and mostly street driven 4x4 should have a Limited Slip. If you are going to pay for a differential install, you should have a TrueTrac Limited Slip installed.

Lockers are not instant death on snow/ice, I have found my lockers to behave on snow/ice similar to the Limited Slip they replaced. Short wheelbase vehicles like a CJ or Wrangler may experience some odd locker behaviors, again making the Limited Slip a better choice.

Between 2009 when Obama took office, and 2013, median annual household incomes have fallen by more than $2,100.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-02-2014, 02:39 PM   #5
BlueRubiconrich
1986 CJ7 

Any axle diff work cost big money. The guy who started this post if you have a Dana 35 don't put any money into it. What do you plan to do with your Jeep?

4 wheeling?Do you plan on adding bigger tires? Then I would get a Dana 44 rear or a Ford 8.8 and do a possible gear swap if needed. That's the time to add some type of L/S or locker.
BlueRubiconrich is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-02-2014, 02:42 PM   #6
BlueRubiconrich
1986 CJ7 

If you get the right year Ford 8.8 you could get rear disc brakes.
BlueRubiconrich is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.