Lifter knocking! Help!!! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Lifter knocking! Help!!!

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Clayton Off Road JK Short Arm Suspension Kits~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 03-25-2006, 04:14 PM   #1
Airborne4X4
1948 CJ2A 

Lifter knocking! Help!!!

I bought a 99 tj/4 banger/2.5L and the motor was quiet and smooth. My first oil change came at about 600 miles after I bought it. I wasn't sure when or if the dealer had changed the oil so I just went a head and did it. Not a couple of hours later I pulled it to my garage and ARGH!!! My motor suddenly had a lifter knocking. I'm guessing now that I got hoodwinked by the dealer. (Yeah, that never happens! ) Anyway, I did the another oil change and added some of those treatment/cleaner/scrubber additives with no help. 3 oil changes later I added that Marvelous Myster Oil... and that seemed to work. I changed my oil again omitting the MMO and the knocking back. So, what I asking is can I continue, with every oil change, putting in the MMO??? How much MMO should I use each oil change, and will it hurt my engine any other way?

Airborne4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2006, 05:47 PM   #2
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborne4X4
I bought a 99 tj/4 banger/2.5L and the motor was quiet and smooth. My first oil change came at about 600 miles after I bought it. I wasn't sure when or if the dealer had changed the oil so I just went a head and did it. Not a couple of hours later I pulled it to my garage and ARGH!!! My motor suddenly had a lifter knocking. I'm guessing now that I got hoodwinked by the dealer. (Yeah, that never happens! ) Anyway, I did the another oil change and added some of those treatment/cleaner/scrubber additives with no help. 3 oil changes later I added that Marvelous Myster Oil... and that seemed to work. I changed my oil again omitting the MMO and the knocking back. So, what I asking is can I continue, with every oil change, putting in the MMO??? How much MMO should I use each oil change, and will it hurt my engine any other way?
MMO is very high quality oil. You can replace one quart of regular oil with one quart of MMO each oil change. The dealer probably had your rig loaded up with oil "additive" basically its a can of very high viscosity (70W) oil. Keep in mind that the 2.5's are not quiet as a rule unless they are real low milage. If you are on the highway a lot it will get nioser sooner than later.

Then it could be that you got a lifter that went dry becasue a push rod got glogged up, and the dealer didn't boink you.
laybackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2006, 05:52 PM   #3
ImSuck

i bought my 2.5 about three weeks ago and it had 104000 miles on it the only thing wrong was the cat i had to get a new one along with muffler and now it runs fine and ive done sum pretty hard core mudding in the past weeks ive had it. i guess yours was just beat on to much.
Low Output 4 Cylinder Jeep Club member #59
[QUOTE=Grewe02]No such thing. Eat **** and die.[/QUOTE]

lifted with some extra's
......sold
ImSuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2006, 08:59 PM   #4
Airborne4X4
1948 CJ2A 

Thanks fellas
Airborne4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2006, 09:40 PM   #5
bobjp

It depends on how hard it is knocking. If there is really a problem, it's going to show itself sooner or later no matter what oil you use.
Isn't there at least some sort of warranty with the dealer. I'm not talking about a factory warranty, I mean like a 90 day or 30 day warranty. But I don't know how long you've had it.
Unread 03-27-2006, 09:07 AM   #6
paroxysym
2007 WK 

right now my lifter or lifters are knocking at start up and eventually are fine after heating up to normal operating temp. its a bad knock too, very audible and annoying. im having them replaced and a stage 2 cam from mopar performance installed for $900. a deal if you ask me. i was told changing the oil and filter would help, but it didnt. i tried the marvel mystery oil and they didnt help either. it started out of the blue and has continued to get worse. good luck with it, i only have 68k on my '02 and everyone finds it odd it is doing this already- but hey what can you do? if you can live with it i wouldnt worry about it but mines getting worse so im going to be replacing everything and gain some hp/tq.
Unread 03-27-2006, 11:58 AM   #7
XJ4oh
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by paroxysym
right now my lifter or lifters are knocking at start up and eventually are fine after heating up to normal operating temp. its a bad knock too, very audible and annoying. im having them replaced and a stage 2 cam from mopar performance installed for $900. a deal if you ask me. i was told changing the oil and filter would help, but it didnt. i tried the marvel mystery oil and they didnt help either. it started out of the blue and has continued to get worse. good luck with it, i only have 68k on my '02 and everyone finds it odd it is doing this already- but hey what can you do? if you can live with it i wouldnt worry about it but mines getting worse so im going to be replacing everything and gain some hp/tq.

Before you let the dealer rip into your engine check your exhaust manifold to make sure it isnt cracked. If it becomes cracked (which is it prone to) it will tick much like a lifter. Sometimes it goes away after warmed up, sometimes it doesnt. Inspect (or have it inspected) to make sure that isnt the issue, they usually crack around the welds at the collector. 68k is WAY WAY WAY to little mileage to have lifters going bad in an engine!!!
Baja Aux. Lighting.
Green Jeep Club #185, Nowhere to Wheel Jeep Club member #1
'04 WJ - Columbia Edition - 4.7HO 2WD
XJ4oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2006, 01:23 PM   #8
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

No offense Airnorne 4x4 but you sound like a bit of a beginner on auto repairs.

Stealerships love fresh meat.

First off the second it started making noise you should have brought it right back to where you bought it. Didn't you get some kind of 30 day warranty? In many states it's mandatory. In any event get the facts documented in writing.

Usually lifter noise gets worst as the oil gets hot. You have had the noise come and go during a series of oil changes. Maybe that is just a coincidence and your exhaust manifold is the culprit

But: The other unknown is the oil change history of his new car.

I would not let anyone touch my car to go "exploring" If they can't tell you what their professional opinion is and put it in their estimate for repair before starting in find some one else. Any stealership that can not detect a lifter noise is a liar or is totally incompetent.

Two new trends that the stealerships are subscribing to that you should be aware of also:
1.)
They now give their mechanics a piece of the parts sales price as a bonus to their hourly wage. SO the service manager AND the mechanics wants to sell you parts.

2.)
Another little way of padding the bill is: They also charge you rates out of a flat rate book. They will charge you for a water pump replacement AND a timing chain repair in full even though to fix the timing chain they have to remove the water pump in the process.
Unread 03-27-2006, 01:41 PM   #9
paroxysym
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJ4oh
Before you let the dealer rip into your engine check your exhaust manifold to make sure it isnt cracked. If it becomes cracked (which is it prone to) it will tick much like a lifter. Sometimes it goes away after warmed up, sometimes it doesnt. Inspect (or have it inspected) to make sure that isnt the issue, they usually crack around the welds at the collector. 68k is WAY WAY WAY to little mileage to have lifters going bad in an engine!!!
who said a dealer was doing the work? i wouldnt let a dealer touch my jeep, they wanted $950 to repair just the lifters, im having lifters/cam/springs/timing chain/gears replaced with labor for $900. its not the exhaust had 3 diff. people check it, plus its an '02 and it has the newer exhaust manifold design- not saying it cant crack, it just doesnt have any cacks in it. i think $900 for parts and labor, and an upgraded cam that is going to be warrantied is a damn good deal..
Unread 03-27-2006, 02:57 PM   #10
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
who said a dealer was doing the work? i wouldnt let a dealer touch my jeep, they wanted $950 to repair just the lifters, im having lifters/cam/springs/timing chain/gears replaced with labor for $900. its not the exhaust had 3 diff. people check it, plus its an '02 and it has the newer exhaust manifold design- not saying it cant crack, it just doesnt have any cacks in it. i think $900 for parts and labor, and an upgraded cam that is going to be warrantied is a damn good deal..
And how does all this relate to Airborne4x4's original question??
Unread 03-27-2006, 03:57 PM   #11
XJ4oh
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Sorry, just assumed there for a minute and I dont know why. No reason to bite my head off though. Yes, 900 bucks is a damn good deal for all of that work. But I was just suggesting you check something minor, that takes 5 mins to look at that could have possibly saved you a few hundred bucks...

laybackman- Thread got hi-jacked I guess.
Baja Aux. Lighting.
Green Jeep Club #185, Nowhere to Wheel Jeep Club member #1
'04 WJ - Columbia Edition - 4.7HO 2WD
XJ4oh is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.