Leak from thermo housing - Help?! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Leak from thermo housing - Help?!

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectJKS Now Available at www.baseline4x4.com, Trackbars, SkidsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 10-10-2001, 06:54 PM   #1
EricsXJ
The Post man

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Leak from thermo housing - Help?!

Hey engine experts,
(background: 2000XJ, 4.0L I-6)
My Jeep has been parked in the driveway since last night. I opened the hood today and noticed a small amount of coolant leaking from what I think is the thermostat housing. I've suspected there might be a leak there from the crud buildup but this is the first time I've seen any fluid. It does not leak enough to drip on the ground and the coolant level is good.

Is this a serious problem that will progressively get worse? Should I take it to the dealer? (still under warranty) Or any other suggestions? Here's some photos so you can see what I'm referring to.

EricsXJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2001, 07:50 PM   #2
JeeperJay

If that is coolant I'd say that the thermostat housing gasket has sprung a small leak...is that gunk dripping from the thermostat housing or up from the water pump? Hard to tell by the pic. Doesn't look like a life or death situation but I'd still get it taken care of before it gets worse.
Unread 10-10-2001, 09:35 PM   #3
EricsXJ
The Post man

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Yes its definitely coolant. You can't see it in the photo but the fluid is green in color. If it is just a leaky gasket, I suppose the dealer should be able to fix it without problem. I don't know if this is a common thing with jeeps or not.

EricsXJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2001, 11:12 PM   #4
Nightclaw
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Dude, it doesn't matter if the thermostat housing is leaking or if you threw a rod through the engine block. Take advantage of that 36-month warranty your XJ came with!
4.0L / AX-15 / Stock NP231 / Stock D30 (open) / D60 (35-spline, Detroit locker, Moser axles) / rear disc brakes / 4.56 gears / Advanced Adapters SYE & CV Shaft / 33" BFG MT-KM's / Thorley Header / Magnaflow Muffler / BesTop Flares
Nightclaw is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.