Knocking Underneath 2000 TJ (Automatic) - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Knocking Underneath 2000 TJ (Automatic)

New jk doors from steinjagerEliminate Hood Flutter!!!Thursday Savings Blast

Unread 08-19-2013, 06:27 AM   #16
uberxj92
1992 XJ Cherokee 

The videos are private

Unread 08-19-2013, 08:46 AM   #17
SJHeup
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Sorry. Fixed it. They're public now.
Unread 08-19-2013, 08:10 PM   #18
uberxj92
1992 XJ Cherokee 

First video sounds like either a bad valve or wrist pin.
Second sounds like a wrist pin or possible exhaust manifold leak.
Unread 08-20-2013, 05:07 AM   #19
KLboxer
2013 JK Wrangler 

How is it running? Is it missing, underpowered, throwing codes, hard starting, or running with less than all its cylinders?

I ask because the noise almost sounds like something superficial to me. For example: a bolt that has loosened on a pulley slapping a cover or other engine part. It's really hard to tell from a video, though.

Either way, I wouldn't run it anymore until it has been diagnosed. No sense in doing more damage and costing more $$. I'd have it towed to your mechanic.

Did you drop the oil and check for metal yet?
KLboxer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-20-2013, 11:26 AM   #20
SJHeup
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLboxer View Post
How is it running? Is it missing, underpowered, throwing codes, hard starting, or running with less than all its cylinders?

I ask because the noise almost sounds like something superficial to me. For example: a bolt that has loosened on a pulley slapping a cover or other engine part. It's really hard to tell from a video, though.

Either way, I wouldn't run it anymore until it has been diagnosed. No sense in doing more damage and costing more $$. I'd have it towed to your mechanic.

Did you drop the oil and check for metal yet?
Seems to be running ok. Its been sitting for a while but no real problems. Only problems I've had starting it is just because it could use a new battery. Haven't gotten a chance to check the oil yet. My future father in law is my mechanic. A damn good one too. He'll be coming over in the next week or two to look at it some more. This thread is great because it gives us an idea of some things to look at. As soon as we get in there I'll update with what we found. Thank you very much for everyone's help.

Tags
accelerating , knocking , rod knock

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.