Knocking sound - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Knocking sound

Iron Cross Customer JK and TJ Wrangler Bumpers now at ROCKZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 03-20-2013, 11:24 PM   #1
roughneck2012

Knocking sound

Ok folks I need help. I have a 98 jeep cherokee sport. Got to work tonight and shut it off. Started it back up about a hour later and 5 minutes after starting it it stated to make a knocking sound. I got out and looked and its leaking power steering fluid. My question is will the power steering pump knock if its ****. The reason I ask is because the knocking noise doesn't get louder when I accelerate it just gets faster. I'm thinking the pumps just **** really bad. Any insight on my situation would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

roughneck2012 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-21-2013, 02:19 AM   #2
roughneck2012

Pretty sure I figured it out. It was power steering pump cause it has stopped and I believe it's because I ran the pump dry of fluid. Going to refill and see if the noise returns. Any other input is still welcome. Thanks!!
Unread 03-21-2013, 06:34 AM   #3
mdm
Farm Wheeler
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Hydraulic pumps don't like running with no fluid. If it wasn't bad before it may well be now. If you have a bad pump, replace it.
Unread 03-22-2013, 12:40 PM   #4
roughneck2012

It was the pump. After refilling it the noise came back and them the pully flew off. Replaced it and them blew the head gasket. Not having any luck but wouldn't trade my jeep for nothing. Thanks for the input!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.