Knocking! Oh MY! Please Help! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Knocking! Oh MY! Please Help!

ANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete Cess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD15 x 8 Black D-Window Steel Wheels Set of 4

Unread 10-16-2013, 07:14 PM   #1
sspiris

Knocking! Oh MY! Please Help!

So my Jeep Grand Cherokee V8 started acting funny on my drive home from work. It haqd a tough time going up a hill (couldn't go above 40 mph) I checked the gauges (worrying about heat or oil) and everything was fine. I had only been on the road for about 2 miles and it was 63 degrees out. Suddenly nothing seemed right.

Soon after exiting the freeway, she (the jeep) was coasting fine and heading down the street then finally died entirely. And wouldn't restart.

I opened the hood and peered inside and saw a really small amount of white smoke coming from the engine. (I had to look really close to see it) After sitting a while and she started but with lots of trouble and knocking.

The tow truck came and brought her to safety but I needed to park her so I decided to start the engine to see what happens. She drove fine into the parking spot and no knocking sounds were coming from the engine just light spurting.

Could I have a cracked head gasket or cracked engine and it still drive? Where did the knocking go? Is knocking dependent on temperature? Or an all or nothing thing?

Thanks so much for your input!

sspiris is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2013, 12:09 AM   #2
uberxj92
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Sounds like you may have blown a head gasket and damaged the low end. The knocking will become more pronounced with engine temp.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.