Keeps shutting off. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Keeps shutting off.

Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!GEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 04-22-2013, 11:04 AM   #1
Snowrats
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Keeps shutting off.

Jeep keeps shutting off. Has a hard time starting then when it does start wont stay running the Roma just drop to 0 and it stops. It have a new distributor, distributor cap, rotar, timing chain with gears, new fuel filter. Some weeks drives fine others won't run at all I don't know what to check next.

Snowrats is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2013, 11:34 PM   #2
Speedymcracer01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowrats View Post
Jeep keeps shutting off. Has a hard time starting then when it does start wont stay running the Roma just drop to 0 and it stops. It have a new distributor, distributor cap, rotar, timing chain with gears, new fuel filter. Some weeks drives fine others won't run at all I don't know what to check next.
What year model do you have does it have a automatic tranny and what type of motor are you running?
Speedymcracer01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2013, 08:16 AM   #3
Snowrats
1988 YJ Wrangler 

It's an 88 4.2L v6
Unread 04-24-2013, 08:24 AM   #4
Speedymcracer01

Quote:
It's an 88 4.2L v6
Is it a automatic and is it fuel injected or carb
Unread 04-24-2013, 08:28 AM   #5
Snowrats
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Manual and it has a weber double barrel carb on in.
Unread 04-24-2013, 08:49 AM   #6
Speedymcracer01

Quote:
Manual and it has a weber double barrel carb on in.
Trying to think not real familiar with the v6 models same with carbs i have a 89jeep comanche does your motor resemble this model? Trying to figure out what type of sensors you have does it have the tps map mass airflow sensors i apologize about all the questions im trying to get a visual of what type of setup see my comanche is carb but it still has all the sensors a new model would well besides a couple of things is yours like that
Unread 04-24-2013, 09:25 AM   #7
Snowrats
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I don't know to be honest. I've only had the jeep for about a month. Im knew to all this.
Unread 04-24-2013, 09:33 AM   #8
Speedymcracer01

Quote:
I don't know to be honest. I've only had the jeep for about a month. Im knew to all this.
Ok well when does it stall is it when you take a turn or when you shift into neutral or push in the clutch for traffic lights or does it just stall when ever
Unread 04-24-2013, 10:42 AM   #9
Snowrats
1988 YJ Wrangler 

It will run for 30 seconds to a minute then shuts down I have good spark and and I'm getting good fuel through my fuel filter
Unread 04-24-2013, 11:18 AM   #10
Speedymcracer01

Quote:
It will run for 30 seconds to a minute then shuts down I have good spark and and I'm getting good fuel through my fuel filter
Ok i would start with your thermal sensor look on your exhaust towards the manifold if you can test it with a circuit tester if not i would pull it and check it for any type of build up on its examine the wires and harnesses on both the thermal and emission o2 sensors then pop the hood check for loose connections around the carb it sounds like a mass map or idle control sensor does it try to buck like it wants to go but it just cant find the right fuel or air mixter when you give it gas does it start to go but very rough idle the engine rpms drop and make the engine shudder then it dies ?
Unread 04-24-2013, 12:06 PM   #11
Snowrats
1988 YJ Wrangler 

If I loosen one of the fuel lines to the carb and alow it to draw in air it will run but once I tighten the clamp and it not longer draws the air it dies
Unread 04-24-2013, 12:19 PM   #12
Speedymcracer01

Quote:
If I loosen one of the fuel lines to the carb and alow it to draw in air it will run but once I tighten the clamp and it not longer draws the air it dies
Check your carbs air fuel mixter might have to much fuel and not enough air if thats not it i would check your gaskets for leaks and any other sensor or vacuum line that would contribute to the air fuel mixter along with vacuum leaks thats what it sounds like
Unread 04-24-2013, 12:28 PM   #13
Speedymcracer01

Quote:
This just hit me if you can pull the converter and see if its clogged or almost clogged that has made my car quit before it didnt want to run period didnt want to crank and would die seconds after cranking it then i had another car itz didn't want to crank and if it did crank it would only run a few seconds and the idle was a little rough i would have to heel toe the gas and brake with one foot and push the clutch with the other just to make a turn with out stalling and that was from a dirty mass airflow sensor
Unread 04-24-2013, 12:38 PM   #14
Snowrats
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Ok I'll give that a try thanks.
Unread 04-24-2013, 01:04 PM   #15
Speedymcracer01

Quote:
Ok I'll give that a try thanks.
Anytime if you can think of any thing else that might help figure this out just post it

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.