K & N Air filters - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > K & N Air filters

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 04-26-2013, 10:01 AM   #1
carmental
2014 XJ Cherokee 

K & N Air filters

Howdy fellow jeepers;
I just ordered a new 2014 Grand Cherokee with the 3.6 litre engine and I'm wondering about getting one of those K&N air filters or air intakes after delivery. Anyone have any experience with these on the 3.6?

The intake runs $200+, the air filter around $70, is there a significant difference in upgrading to the intake?

thanks - Carmental (soon to be Jeepmental)

carmental is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2013, 11:01 AM   #2
carmental
2014 XJ Cherokee 

Well - I just read through the "My gas mileage sucks" thread, it was not very encouraging. I'm not quite sure how K&N claims a HP increase with their intake when there is no corresponding increase in exhaust flow. The conclusion one could draw is that the existing exhaust on the GC is already built to accommodate additional exhaust output? But then I read that more air by necessity means more fuel, so one would infer that increasing the airflow to the engine would require it to consume more fuel, reducing mileage.

I should have listened to my mother - she said "go to college, be an engineer". But no, I went to college and learned to drink beer.

So now I've talked myself out of, in to, and back out of a new cold air intake. Anyone else want to join the other voices in my head? See if they can convince me to pocket or part with my hard-earned $200?

Thanks - Carmental (I am now at one with my inner duality).
Unread 04-26-2013, 11:05 AM   #3
Soldier905
1988 MJ Comanche 

A cold air intake was the best addon i ever did to any of my vehicles it was well worth the money. Installed one on a suburban and got 2 more mpg out of it after install (note old intake/filter was clean but the intake was a maze of turns)
Soldier905 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2013, 10:19 PM   #4
NonRubicon
1990 YJ Wrangler 

K&N filter will keep rocks out of your engine, but that's about it. Don't expect it to do as good a job as an OEM style filter when it comes to keeping dirt and dust out.

K&N filters are race technology, and race tech doesn't always translate to street. Race engines get rebuilt frequently and dirt isn't as much an issue.

By the time the K&N filter gets dirty enough to filter as well as an OEM filter, you've lost the hi-flow benefits.
NonRubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2013, 06:05 AM   #5
jay-h
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I've seen actual tests (I believe there are links somewhere on JF as well) which plainly show that K&N type filters are considerably less effective at dirt removal, something to consider if you off-road.

wife's toys
97 Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
87 MB 560SL roadster
jay-h is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2013, 12:12 PM   #6
carmental
2014 XJ Cherokee 

Hmmmm.... I'm not planning on doing much off-roading, but I'm all for giving the motor maximum protection. So the trade-off seems to be improved performance versus improved filtering. I've seen those Crown Royal bags that people wrap around the filter to act as a pre-screen, but have to believe they restrict the airflow even more, further negating any performance improvement.

Some brain-wizard out there needs to develop a more porous filter that effectively traps dust and dirt. Perhaps this is indeed one of those unanswerable questions: Intake or no? Ginger or Maryann? Tomato, tomahto? Big Mac or Whopper?
Unread 04-30-2013, 07:09 PM   #7
bathfarm
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I have had them on a Jeep (4.00 and a Ram(360) ...Made NO difference in MPG but did help performance a little.
bathfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2013, 07:19 PM   #8
jay-h
1989 YJ Wrangler 

There was a time when factory air filters were fairly restrictive, favoring less noise (a noisy filter can kill sales).

However two things happened: Computer modelling has enabled filters to be tuned for low noise even with flow, and at the same time, government regulations are pushing manufacturers to work for every fractional increase in efficiency even if its cost does not make practical sense to the end user. So many factory filters are pretty darned good, though they're costing you a lot.

wife's toys
97 Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
87 MB 560SL roadster
jay-h is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.