Jeep Wrangler TJ 4.0L Horrible Clunking Noise. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Jeep Wrangler TJ 4.0L Horrible Clunking Noise.

Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Stainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 12-04-2012, 01:57 PM   #1
JustinJeep40
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Jeep Wrangler TJ 4.0L Horrible Clunking Noise.

So starting yesterday(12/3/12) My jeep has been making this horrible noise coming from the rear. It started out very subtle but as today progressed it became worse and worse and eventually was jerking my jeep back and forth down the entire road. Im new to this forum so be kind if I'm being a complete idiot. any feedback is appreciated i just do not want to spend a couple grand trying to fix something thats not even broken!
Here is a video to help explain things a little bit more:
YouTube (Short URL)
?start=" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen>
Thanks for helping me while I'm freaking out about it

JustinJeep40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2012, 09:30 PM   #2
jokerchief462
Wild Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Hate seeing a question go unanswered so a little advice. Repost here on the TJ tech page and see if they can help. Also your video didn't post for some reason.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/

Your description of the problem does point to driveline issue at the rear. Could be u-joints or inside the rear end itself. Best i got so far.

AF Jeep Club Tail #184
jokerchief462 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2012, 04:54 AM   #3
JustinJeep40
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks Joker, i got under the jeep and check the drive shaft and inspected all the U-joints, if you want to go to the link that you shared in your post i did repost the thread and the video is 100% working now. I'm pretty sure that the U-joints are OK, right now its just a matter of taking off the rear diff cap and checking my gears.
JustinJeep40 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.