Jeep wont start - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Jeep wont start

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Artec Flash Sale - 15% off and Free Shipping over $300Brand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!

Unread 10-13-2013, 11:47 AM   #1
alleniraq

Jeep wont start

I have a 99 4.0L wrangler, I was having a family day two Sundays ago when the jeep stalled and wouldn't start. I had it towed back home and began to trouble shoot it, I noticed when I had the key in the on position none of the gauges would come on. The key cylinder is worn out too so I replaced both of those as well as the ignition switch actuator pin. Now when I turn the key to the on position the gauges come on, and it rolls over but does not fire. The plugs, distributor and coils are all new. I shot ether in the air cleaner and still would not fire. I took a plug out and grounded it on the frame and no spark. I have checked all he fuses and none are blown, I am out of ideas , help anyone.

alleniraq is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-13-2013, 08:50 PM   #2
uberxj92
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Bad coil or rotor. Bad cps. Ignition switch under dsdj maybe. Just a couple of ideas
Unread 10-14-2013, 02:16 AM   #3
Holder350
Web Wheeler

1995 XJ Cherokee 

Start back with the basics.

Check every fuse in the PDC.

Can you hear the fuel pump run for a couple seconds when you turn the key on?

A bad CPS can often cause a no start issue.

Here's a test for it. But just because it passes this test doesn't mean its defiantly good, but if it fails it is defiantly bad.

http://www.cherokeeforum.com/f51/testing-cps-5563/

Sent from my phone where correct grammar is difficult.

98' XJ Classic - D30/C8.25 - 4.5" RC Lift - 33x12.50R15 - 4.0 HO - AW4 - NP231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azzy View Post
You can tell the character of a person in how they treat someone who can do nothing for them.
Holder350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2013, 09:57 PM   #4
alleniraq

I replaced the CPS and the cap rotar and coil are all new
Unread 11-05-2013, 02:59 PM   #5
alleniraq

Anyone else have any ideas? Still won't start
Unread 11-05-2013, 05:52 PM   #6
bigfootdave
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Can you verify that you are getting fuel pressure in the injector rail? If not, verify the ASD relay is good.

Assuming you have fuel pressure, then one would have to suspect the either or both the crank or cam position sensors. The crank position sensor should center up on the mounting bolts and pretty much align itself, but not always. If you have used aftermarket non-Mopar parts, that can be an issue, but even genuine parts can be an issue. Loosen the two bolts and push the sensor towards the flywheel with as much hand pressure as you can while you evenly tighten the bolts.

Still nothing? Okay, here's a real weird one to try. Make a jumper wire about 4" or so long. You're going to jumper the ground terminals of the fuel pump relay and the ignition relay. The PCM provides ground to the various relays, they already have positive power from the Power Distribution Center so if the crank and cam sensors are good, and the ASD relay is good, it should fire off. After a few days you can pull the jumper and everything should be back to normal.

Good luck!
bigfootdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2014, 08:16 AM   #7
alleniraq

All, it turned out the computer was bad, must have fried when the ignition switch went out. Thanks to everyone

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.