JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   Engines & Drivetrain (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f19/)
-   -   Jeep will not start, super frustrating (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f19/jeep-will-not-start-super-frustrating-1796513/)

txrednek04 11-16-2013 10:58 AM

Jeep will not start, super frustrating

Hey guys I really need some help!

I have an 04 TJ with manual tranny in desperate need of help with starting. She will not turn over whatsoever. I turn the key to the on position and all the dash lights come on, the stereo comes on, headlights on with no dimming. Here's a list below of possibilities I have ruled out:

Battery is new. Optima straight out of the box. Old battery was in great shape. Only a few months of being used.

Battery cables have minor corrosion. About to change them out anyways

PCM has power to it.

Starter relay is good and has power running to it.

Starter is good. Had it tested at auto zone. There is also power to the starter

Ran the wiring harness all around, everything is grounded and plugged up.

Alternator works fine.

Attempted to start with crossing the starter from power to solenoid. Only makes a spinning sound.

Ignition switch and ignition switch with the pin that has tendency to crack was replaced.

Neutral safety switch (I know that's not what it's called but the connection with the wiring harness to the transfer case is what I'm referring to) is good. I also put a fuse in #20 in the fuse box behind the glove box to bypass this and still nothing. Didn't even start when there wasn't a fuse there.

The transfer case was just replaced with a used np231 from the same year, make and model since my transfer case exploded on the highway and cracked open like a coconut.

Had a buddy who pull started me while in 2nd gear so she will start but not by turning the key. All I get is the click and nothing.

I am super lost at this point and in need of help. Any and every suggestions are welcome!

uberxj92 11-18-2013 01:40 AM

My starter tested perfect at napa. Was still bad. The test machined give a perfect scenario for testing.
Try to have someone turn the key while you out a tester on the ignition wire to starter. That way you rule out a bad connection or wire.

mastershakey 11-18-2013 01:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by uberxj92
My starter tested perfect at napa. Was still bad. The test machined give a perfect scenario for testing. Try to have someone turn the key while you out a tester on the ignition wire to starter. That way you rule out a bad connection or wire.

Agreed. Samething happened to me. Tested good. Replaced it. Fixed the problem. Might have corrosion on the contacts in the ignition too. Might stop the starter from getting all the juice it needs

txrednek04 11-18-2013 04:38 PM

Thanks for the advice. I'll give it a look tonight and hopefully that's the issue.

mastershakey 11-18-2013 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by txrednek04
Thanks for the advice. I'll give it a look tonight and hopefully that's the issue.

Let's us know if that fixes it :)

laybackman 11-18-2013 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by txrednek04 (Post 17753985)

Attempted to start with crossing the starter from power to solenoid. Only makes a spinning sound.

Had a buddy who pull started me while in 2nd gear so she will start but not by turning the key. All I get is the click and nothing.

I am super lost at this point and in need of help. Any and every suggestions are welcome!

The starter is NG or......it is wired up wrong. The starter will not engage when you hit the key but only spins when you jump the starter.

The starter solenoid will not throw the starter drive gear forward to engage the flywheel or flex plate if you have an automatic if you hear it spin but not engage.

laybackman 11-18-2013 07:58 PM

Just for clarifications sake isn't there only two wires on your starter. One fat 6awg red wire on the big lug and a thinner one 14awg pnk/blk wire on the smaller lug.

That is hard to mix up. I'm thinking the starter solenoid is junk or the drive section that shoots the gear forward is jammed up somehow.

http://www.howacarworks.com/basics/h...g-system-works

txrednek04 11-18-2013 08:15 PM

I know it's not the starter cause that's brand new. Had it switched out when my old starter was running around 50 amps where the new one is running around 70. I know there's power to it since I crossed the solenoid an the starter spins. I know it's not going to start like that but there is power running to it

txrednek04 11-18-2013 08:40 PM

It's not the wire leading from the battery to the starter. Just changed it out and still not starting

txrednek04 11-18-2013 10:01 PM

I don't have a tester to see how much power is running to the starter but I replaced the wires and still no luck.

uberxj92 11-18-2013 11:12 PM

My best friend works for worldwide computer company. Can't say which one NCR but he works there. They get electronic parts daily that are OBF Out Of Box Failures. Same stands true for any part. That starter is probably a bad one. Trade it back in.
And you can rent a multi tester from Autozone

laybackman 11-19-2013 06:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by txrednek04 (Post 17819105)
I know it's not the starter cause that's brand new. Had it switched out when my old starter was running around 50 amps where the new one is running around 70. I know there's power to it since I crossed the solenoid an the starter spins. I know it's not going to start like that but there is power running to it

If the starter spins only when you hot wire it but still does not engage the flywheel either you have bad wiring or that starter is junk.

Take it out of the car throw it in a vice put 12 volts to the big lug then jump that voltage to the little lug and watch what the starter drive does.

It should not only spin but IT MUST extend itself out so it can engage the flywheel. I'm fairly sure yours won't.

txrednek04 11-19-2013 02:54 PM

The new starter was tested at auto zone and I watched the gear spin for a about a 2 seconds then push out and work correctly as how the starter should. Same thing with the old one. Should there not be a delay with the gear coming out at all? It seemed to me that the starter works fine but then again, I'm still SOL with getting it started

laybackman 11-19-2013 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by txrednek04 (Post 17841425)
The new starter was tested at auto zone and I watched the gear spin for a about a 2 seconds then push out and work correctly as how the starter should. Same thing with the old one. Should there not be a delay with the gear coming out at all? It seemed to me that the starter works fine but then again, I'm still SOL with getting it started

I think you are not getting enough amperage to the starter. Using one leg of a jumper cable go from the + battery post to the large lug on the starter. Then attempt to start it up. If it starts the heavy gauge red wire is corroded inside the casing. Remove and twist/shake/bend vigorously said wire and re-attach it. IF it now works un-aided by the battery 'jumper wire' then the large red wire is definitely corroded on the inside.

uberxj92 11-19-2013 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by txrednek04 (Post 17841425)

I just called Autozone and advanced and they both said the gear spins and engages at the same time no delays. I just tested my trail spare starter no delay.
So it stands that its either a bad solenoid or not enough power to either your starter or solenoid.
I would swap both my starter and wire to battery.

The time now is 03:56 PM.