Jeep runs great.....Overheats Help please? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Jeep runs great.....Overheats Help please?

Jeep Liberty Wheel Bearing & Hub - FrontSAVE BIG: Christmas in July Sale!Jeep Liberty Window Regulator

Unread 07-29-2013, 09:34 PM   #1
btmfdr23

Jeep runs great.....Overheats Help please?

Hi my 99 Jeep Grand Cherokee is having some problems.
A usual 45 minute drive I take often was interrupted about halfway through with a check gauge light. I continued driving cautiously to my destination because pulling over would have caused traffic problems and I wasn't too far (about 20mins). I then noticed my temp gauge was on the overheat line but not really raising or lowering. I opened my windows to check for an unusual smell, and blasted the heat. The Jeep was still driving great too! I arrived at my location and quickly checked under the hood A white smoke was coming from the center of the engine. I also noticed the coolant was alot higher than it was the day before when i checked my fluids (Which were all filled enough). Next day I towed it to a shop and they're not sure if its the radiator or not.
Should I plan on a new car or get it repaired?
Thanks if you read this

btmfdr23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2013, 10:05 PM   #2
rock-rocker
I Love Wheelin'

2013 JK Wrangler 

Should I plan on a new car or get it repaired?

btmfdr

This is a tuff nut to crack. If you took it to a good mechanic he should have done numerous tests to try to track the problem down before he jumped on a radiator problem. Was the cooling system tested for hydrocarbons? This would have caused the cooling level to be a bit higher caused by a blown head gasket. I don't know what type of fan clutch you have but was this checked? Have you driven the vehicle thru mud or have you ever hosed the radiator/AC fins to blow out any dirt or debris which causes reduced air flow? Has the possibility of a bad thermostat been ruled out. You can sometimes check the thermostat by feeling the temperature of the top and bottom radiator hoses. Now, the real question is how hot did the engine get? Of course the hotter the worse it will be. The white smoke you mentioned was it smoke or steam.

I know I havn't answered your question but there are so many other questions that need to be answered unless of course you are looking for an excuse to buy a new vehicle. If your not then maybe get some answers to some of the problems that could have led up to the overheating along with what damage if any was done when the engine overheated. HTH and good luck...

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.