Jeep jk knocking sound 09' with tires and lift but no engine mod - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Jeep jk knocking sound 09' with tires and lift but no engine mod

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineGrizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Unread 05-12-2012, 05:04 PM   #1
sdaniels34

Jeep jk knocking sound 09' with tires and lift but no engine mod

I posted a response to someone else on the forum about something similar. Our engines, however, are different and the technician at the dealership says the noise is coming from the transmission. There is a very noticeable knocking sound and a gear was blamed for the noise. The technician says the sound is normal. I only have 10000 miles left of my factory warranty. Should I push the dealership to deal with this differently? All of their tests show no trouble. I'm receiving notices in the mail from attorneys regarding my engine. Any advice?

sdaniels34 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-12-2012, 07:39 PM   #2
Griff1918
Web Wheeler
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Take it for a 2nd opinion
Griff1918 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-12-2012, 09:51 PM   #3
Treton
2005 LJ Wrangler 

when does it happen? when bogging down near stall?
Treton is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-13-2012, 06:58 AM   #4
sdaniels34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treton
when does it happen? when bogging down near stall?
It happens when during idol mostly when cold.
Unread 05-13-2012, 08:05 AM   #5
Griff1918
Web Wheeler
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Sounds like a oil pump issue, or to heavy of an oil.
Griff1918 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-14-2012, 03:52 PM   #6
sdaniels34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griff1918
Sounds like a oil pump issue, or to heavy of an oil.
Does oil pump/ oil weight impact the transmission?
Unread 05-14-2012, 04:05 PM   #7
Ross00TJ
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdaniels34 View Post
Does oil pump/ oil weight impact the transmission?
No.

What oil grade (weight) are you running in your V6?

Try using a long scredriver, hose, etc as a stethoscope and probing around (by placing on end on various parts of the engine and the other part on your ear) to find where the noise is the loudest.

$20 says that the dealership techs didn't want to deal with it becasue it is warranty work.

Report back your findings (where the noise is coming from, specifcally) and we should be able to help you better. Otherwise try taking it to another shop for a 2nd opinion. I can't think of anytime when a knocking engine or tranny is normal.

HTH.
Unread 05-15-2012, 12:16 AM   #8
sdaniels34

Good advice. I appreciate it.
Unread 07-29-2012, 10:18 AM   #9
cfd308

I have the same "Issue" it sounds like its coming from the rear end somewhere, usually only in 1st and intermittent. Any help would be great appreciated!
cfd308 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-11-2013, 01:59 PM   #10
Ruggzyboags94
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfd308
I have the same "Issue" it sounds like its coming from the rear end somewhere, usually only in 1st and intermittent. Any help would be great appreciated!
Forgot to give you my number and it says your inbox is to full. 7326873413
Ruggzyboags94 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-09-2013, 07:02 PM   #11
chevyboy67
2009 JK Wrangler 

i have a similar issue with my 2009 jk 3.8 when at idle it is completly fine on start up the minute i try to put it in gear and start to taxi down the block it sounds like a piston or knocking sound only for about 2 minutes then gone but if i let it set for an hr starts all over again anyone have this condition with this pos 3.8 junk box
chevyboy67 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.