jeep a/c noise, quick temporary fix. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > jeep a/c noise, quick temporary fix.

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsSteinjager TJ tube doors

Unread 11-19-2012, 09:36 AM   #1
bezerk

jeep a/c noise, quick temporary fix.

Hi, I have a 94 4ltr. Auto, the a/c clutch has failed (making grinding noises too often) I can't take the car off road till after Xmas... If I disconnect the electrics from the pump, would it stop the grinding and still be safe?
Thanks in advance,

Bez

bezerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2012, 10:12 AM   #2
Millermagic
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bezerk View Post
Hi, I have a 94 4ltr. Auto, the a/c clutch has failed (making grinding noises too often) I can't take the car off road till after Xmas... If I disconnect the electrics from the pump, would it stop the grinding and still be safe?
Thanks in advance,

Bez
If you pull the A/C relay in the fuse box, the clutch won't try to engage the compressor. If it's making noise without it trying to engage (IE the hvac system is off) ... then this wont' work.
Unread 11-19-2012, 10:47 AM   #3
bezerk

Millermagic,
Thanks for that, will that not bypass the radiator fan as well?
Unread 11-19-2012, 04:23 PM   #4
jeepdaddy2000
Web Wheeler

1971 CJ5 

You can disconnect the connector at the Ac unit. If you can't reach that, then pull the connector at the pressure switch (which is usually easier anyway). It is on the right side of American Jeeps, however, your set up may be different. As stated above, if the grinding is constant, regardless of whether the clutch is engaged or not, then you have a bad bearing in the compressor. You will need to stop driving the rig till you can get it fixed.
jeepdaddy2000 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2012, 09:56 AM   #5
bezerk

Thanks for that, I'll use that disconnection if the relay removal fails... But, I must say everything at the moment seems to be doing, or not doing as planned.

Thanks again.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.