J10, I need some helpful insights. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > J10, I need some helpful insights.

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitSavvy Billet LED Tail Lights

Unread 04-01-2011, 08:10 PM   #1
Snodust
1982 J-Series Truck 

J10, I need some helpful insights.

I have an 82 Jeep J10 and it has the original straight six, 258 engine in it and it has 210,000 miles on it and I want to swap the engine for the dodge magnum fuel injected 360. I just need to know how much work it would be to mount that engine in there. From what I understand, I will have to also swap out the tranny and possibly the t-case. How difficult would this be and also how much time would it take to pull it off? I just need to get some ideas on this, thanks

Snodust is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2011, 01:38 AM   #2
RogueSpear2023
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Any reason why you don't want to use the AMC 360 other than the carb? To do this you will probably need a complete donor truck your going to need all the wiring, the computer, not sure what transmission you have, some can mount up with a proper bracket like say the AX15, transfer case maybe able to be used, but I am unsure of what the J10 has from the factory. You going to need a new radiator as well. This will be a lot of wiring.

2003 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
4.0L, 42RLE, Dual Tops, Full Doors, JKS Front Disconnects, Cragar Soft 8 Black Wheels, 33x12.5x15 Goodyear Duratracs, .75" Front Coil Spacers, Bushwacker 6" Flat Fender Flares, Skid Row Steering Box Skid, LubeLockers, Rubicon Locker Mod, OBA, Cobra 19 Ultra III CB, 3' Firestik, Rough Country 2.2 Steering Stabilizer, RC 1.25" BL, RC 1" MML, RC Grab Handles, Fog Lamp Bent Pin Mod, 4" Apline S Series Speakers, Kenwood Excelon 6.5" Speakers, 6.5" JL Audio 6W3V3 Subwoofer (in center console) w/MTX Thunder 202 amp, IPF H4 Headlight Housing, Sliverstar H4 bulbs.

TJ Tech Boot Camp
TJ Specs

"Buying a jeep and not taking it off road, is like buying a dragster and never taking it to the track"
RogueSpear2023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2011, 09:59 AM   #3
Snodust
1982 J-Series Truck 

Yeah basically I do not want to deal with the carb anymore. They are good engines and all, but I would rather have a fuel injected engine. Because I live in Idaho where it is cold for a better part of the year and so starting it in the winter becomes a pretty big pain. I am also looking to get some better fuel economy and just an overall more reliable engine. Yeah the guy that I am getting the engine from said that I can have the full wiring harness and from what it sounds like, he has the radiator and other parts from the pickup also. I'm not sure what exact tranny my Jeep has but it is a manual four speed. I would have to go and take a look to see exactly, but do you know if I would have to change the engine mounts or anything like that?
Snodust is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
360 , engine , j10 , swap

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.