iron duke - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 1 Old 07-23-2002, 01:58 PM Thread Starter
LGJEEPGUY

iron duke

hi guys, i got a 151cu, 2.5l 4-banger chevy motor in my 81cj5. i put in a cam and headers at 180,000 miles. at that time when pulling the valve covers i found crud you wouldn't believe! i wondered how in hell it kept running. my friend said thats why the motor is called the "iron duke". the heck with it, after cleaning it up(didn't do a head job yet....call me nuts) i went ahead and installed the cam anyway. it's now at 205,000 miles, still going, a tad more hp than before( a 4banger is still a 4banger )the cam and headers. that was the history....the problem is that everytime i brake, the idle drops below normal and engine dies. it didn't happen before my friend rebuilt the carb..... i found he did away with most of the vaccum lines. i had to install a manual pull type idle cable and kept it idling at 1100-1200rpm to keep it from dying.
question...does anyone know where there is a diagram/picture of vaccum lines for this motor so i can replace them? i've been thinking of a holley carb replacement as well, would the Clifford small block people be the best bet? i seen a univeral holley 300 carb/offenhouser intake in an old PAW catalog but it's not listed in the new catalog. well, just thought i'll share my problem and hope someone can stir up some ideas...thanks guys!

lgjeepguy
77cj5, 81cj5

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.