Intermittent stalling... At idle, coast and stop - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Intermittent stalling... At idle, coast and stop

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Clayton Off Road JK Short Arm Suspension Kits~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 05-01-2013, 12:05 PM   #16
blucat88
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Beautiful! Thank You! Found a distributor on their site that will work. I need to wait on a paycheck or two before I can order it, however. I'll let you know when I get it all put together. Thanks so much! I appreciate it!

blucat88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2013, 03:40 PM   #17
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

Keep us posted.

An index to over 25 write-ups can be found in Post #1.

Cruiser's Mostly Renix Tips
My Jeep Technical Photos

http://www.cherokeeforum.com/g/album/1725214
cruiser54 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2013, 08:13 PM   #18
blucat88
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Wanted to update you on the YJ. Through all the tinkering, I finally pulled the coil to check it out prior to ordering the new distributor. The tough starts and intermittent nature of the missing (coupled with the fact that it was only doing it when the temp was up around 210), caused me to poke around a little more. Here is a picture of the coil that was in it... I was embarrassed to realize I had overlooked this.

Installed a new coil and cleaned all the contacts. It fires as soon as I touch the key and hasn't missed or stalled out in over 2 weeks. Thanks for all the input! I really appreciate it!!!
wp_20130906_001.jpg  
Unread 09-09-2013, 08:26 PM   #19
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

Whoa!!!! Glad you found it.

An index to over 25 write-ups can be found in Post #1.

Cruiser's Mostly Renix Tips
My Jeep Technical Photos

http://www.cherokeeforum.com/g/album/1725214
cruiser54 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2014, 08:07 PM   #20
blucat88
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Okay... It was about a week long honeymoon followed by all the same old trials and tribulations...

I know it's been a while, but I thought I had a friend / mechanic that was helping me, who only led me a long way to just drop me off and never return (so to speak). So, I installed the carb and got that distributor you recommended, which went a LONG way toward fixing much of what was troubling us. Now, it smells like it is running really rich and has zero power, seeming like it wants to just choke out and die as soon as you touch the throttle. I thought perhaps thought the carb was pushing too much fuel, so I ordered smaller jets. It has .45 main jets, so I went down to .35s and then .30s, which only succeeded in making it top out at around 55 mph once you coax her into getting up to that speed (which is a bit of a chore). It gets going and then feels like it isn't getting enough gas. So, I'm back to the drawing board.

The guy that was helping me said his next step was to get it on a dyno and that he knew a guy... and then he fell off the face of the earth. My thoughts are this:
1. I have never even heard of a 3 bbl carburetor before this and I am wondering if maybe I wasted $350 purchasing the carb that my mechanic friend recommended. But then, Weber's site states that this carb should work for that motor.
2. We took all of the emissions garbage off when we added the carb - perhaps there is a vacuum issue that I am overlooking?
3. I am going back to the original jets based on the performance prior to and following the changes. It at least cruised at about 70 before the change.
4. There is a Holley fuel pressure regulator in the system (recommended and purchased from Weber) that is supposed to push 3.5 pounds to the carb. I am wondering if it isn't set too high? I have no gauge to test that, but will go to O'Reilly's or Autozone or whatever to locate something that I can use.
5. It is still stalling, but it seems like maybe it isn't an ignition issue like it was, but may be more related to the fuel delivery... Or maybe I had a combination issue to start with and have solved some of the problem. (It is only getting about 9-10mpg, but if you look at the pic - the tires are likely a big part of that).
6. The pressure tests revealed excellent pressure across all 6 cylinders and I have replaced pretty much everything I can replace, so I'm pretty much out of ideas.

Any suggestions would really be welcome. This is my son's ride and being 17, it would be cool if he could jump in and go whenever he wants to. Particularly on these nice days.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.