Initial Acceleration Problem - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Initial Acceleration Problem

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 05-22-2012, 11:20 AM   #1
peterc
1974 CJ5 

Initial Acceleration Problem

I've got a 74 CJ5, with a Carter YF carb, manual choke and electronic distributor.

Problem is hesitation when I initially accelerate in idle, 1st & 2nd gear. When the engine heats up well, the problem mostly disappears. I've rebuilt the carb, have the idle mixture set more or less correctly for my altitude (6,000 feet) and have sealed all vacuum leaks; though I could probably use a new exhaust gasket, and perhaps that would solve the problem.

But, oddly enough when I have it running, and I manually give it gas...there's no hesititation. But, if I get in and hit the gas pedal...there it is. I've replaced the gas pedal to throttle linkage...so it's not that. And, if I close the choke, let's say 1/8..then there's no hesitation when I apply the gas pedal.

This is not a terrible problem as this baby can really run out. I live in the mountains and even going up a semi-steep grade i'm going 60 with plenty of pedal left.

Anyhow, any hints or insights would be appreciated.

Pete
Wrightwood, Ca. 92397

peterc is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.