Information on Transmission Swap - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Information on Transmission Swap

Offset Tie Rod Kit From RuffStuff!Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 03-15-2013, 10:10 PM   #1
parker3754

Information on Transmission Swap

I'm looking to get a ball park figure "of costs", from people who have swapped their manual transmission in a cj5 to an auto transmission. I have a 79 cj5 with a manual 3-speed and want an automatic transmission installed. Please include all the costs that you obtain for this swap so that I have an idea what i'm looking at. Thanks!!!

parker3754 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2013, 01:18 PM   #2
seattle_yj
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by parker3754
I'm looking to get a ball park figure "of costs", from people who have swapped their manual transmission in a cj5 to an auto transmission. I have a 79 cj5 with a manual 3-speed and want an automatic transmission installed. Please include all the costs that you obtain for this swap so that I have an idea what i'm looking at. Thanks!!!
Since no body has chimed in with expert advice, I'll share a little piece of knowledge I learned from doing tcase swaps. The tcase input shaft for manual and autos is different. It was a hidden cost that I didn't factor in when pricing a 3 sp auto to manual swap. Novak and them guys have an adapter but I'm not sure what it does to the total drive length. And it's probably pretty spendy. When you change drive line lengths you're talking big buck to get new ones swapped. Hope that little info helps some.
seattle_yj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2013, 05:55 PM   #3
WhiteMtnJeep
The Punk Made My Day.....

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Another item to look at will be the radiator. Since you are going to an auto you will need a cooler, too. The current radiator most likely does not have one. The other option is to install a trans cooler. Either way there will be lines to run to whatever you use as well.

Journeyman Polyphase Meterman IBEW Local 387

Work with enthusiasm as though you were working for the Lord rather than for man.

http://www.treadlightly.org/

Siena Jeep Owner's Member 25

/l ,[____],
l---L -0lllllll0-

()_) ()_)-O-)_)
WhiteMtnJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2013, 03:57 AM   #4
parker3754

Thanks for your help. And also if there are any mechanics out there looking for work, I would have this job for ya. Let me know.
parker3754 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.