Im new to the jeep forum so bear with me!! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Im new to the jeep forum so bear with me!!

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsSteinjager TJ tube doors

Unread 03-21-2006, 08:13 AM   #1
REDPILL
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Im new to the jeep forum so bear with me!!

Hi,

i just purchased a 2001 sahara with the 4.0I 5 speed. My question is how many miles can i expect the engine to have on it before i start replacing parts.

What I know about the jeep.

one owner
have maintence records on oil changes usually between 2500 and 3000 miles.
the jeep has 84000 miles on it-mostly interstate commute.
no tow hitch installed

I have had the jeep completly serviced new oil, filter, one thing previous owner neglected was the coolent- It was nasty so i had it flushed and had a new radiatior installed by dealer.

what should i expect out of this jeep.

Thanks for the replys, and im glad to be a jeep owner.

jclaude

REDPILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2006, 08:34 AM   #2
de6w6it

It varies greatly, but since it was so well maintained, the oil changes are key for getting high mielage out of a motor. I have 105 k on my 4 cylinder, and it runs just as good as the day it came off production...only real thing is the rear main seal seeps slightly. This is one thing that you may want to keep an eye on, jeeps rear main seals are pretty sketchy IMHO. I have heard many a people getting 150k easy before any real parts changes are necesary. Just fix things as soon as something is wrong, and it will stay healthy. In my four wheel and off road magazine I just got, there is an old yota with over 500k miles on the original motor. I know thats different than a jeep, but it is just to illustrate the point that you can make a motor last by taking care of it. Things to watch, have replaced, and keep an eye on would be timing chain, ignition stuff (wires, plugs, cap, rotor, ....), rear main seal, head gasket, water pump, thermostat, change oil and filter as frequently as you desire, take care of her, and she will take care of you. Sounds like the person who owned your rig before you was not real hard on it, which is the same for me, only one owner, never been off road, mostly highway miles...
de6w6it is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.