Idle Problem - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Idle Problem

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitClayton Off Road - Come see us at these events!

Unread 09-28-2008, 07:35 PM   #1
Datspoon
1979 J-Series Truck 

Idle Problem

I just recently bought my 79 J20. The owner before me used it as his welding rig and had done alot of work to it including putting in a Buick 350 V8. It started up nicely at the previous owners house. Idled very smoothly, drove it home and a couple times at when stopped it would almost stall out until I would tap the gas while my other foot was on the brake. Once I got home I started it again and it stalled out after running for a few second. After that it wouldn't turn over unless it sat for a few hours. I also notice gas dripping from the carb. After sitting for a few hours I would try and start it again only for it to stall out after a few seconds. If I held my foot on the accelerator it wouldn't stall out until I let off the gas, but black smoke would come out of the exhaust making me think too much gas was getting through. I thought, maybe a sunk float in the carb? After a week I went to start it again to show my friend the problem and it stalled out pretty quick but upon restarting it I held my foot on the gas for a second or two then let it off thinking it would stall out as it had before, but it continued to idle smoothly until I shut it off. Also no gas was leaking from the carb and no black smoke was coming out of the exhaust. Thoughts?

Datspoon is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.