Idle control - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Idle control

Rear Disc Brake Conversion Kit- TJ,YJ,XJSWAG 50 Cal Ammo Can Mount With M2A1 Can~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 06-20-2013, 04:54 PM   #1
julius793

Idle control

My 2005 grand cherokee keeps stalling while in idle are there any quick fixes for this? Or can it be a million things?

julius793 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2013, 08:15 PM   #2
rifed1

Quote:
Originally Posted by julius793
My 2005 grand cherokee keeps stalling while in idle are there any quick fixes for this? Or can it be a million things?
Try either cleaning or replacing your IAC (idle air control). Check the wiring going to the IAC and make sure it is not disconnected.
rifed1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2013, 09:47 PM   #3
jnicewan
1995 ZJ 

Also depending on what engine, you may not have an idle air control valve/motor. I think its just the 5.7 hemi that does not have an IAC, it uses electronic throttle control to open the throttle body plate to adjust idle. Regardless if engine, either clean the throttle body and plate, along with the IAC if equipped. Also remove battery negative cable for a few minutes to let the PCM relearn idle strategy.
jnicewan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2013, 10:26 PM   #4
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

Not for your engine but just follow the basics.

Courtesy of TJWalker:
--------------------------------------------------------------------
The Idle Air Control (IAC) is mounted on the back of the throttle body. (front for 87-90) The valve controls the idle speed of the engine by controlling the amount of air flowing through the air control passage. It consists of a stepper motor that moves a pintle shaped plunger in and out of the air control passage. When the valve plunger is moved in, the air control passage flows more air which raises the idle speed. When the valve plunger is moved out, the air control passage flows less air which lowers the idle speed. Over time and miles, the IAC can get carboned up which can have an adverse affect on idle quality. Cleaning the IAC may restore proper function and is an easy procedure to perform and good preventive maintenance so it is never a bad idea.

CLEANING THE JEEP 4.0 IDLE AIR CONTROL

Remove the air filter cover, associated hoses and the rubber boot that goes from the air filter cover to the throttle body. Remove the IAC with a torx driver (2 bolts; one can be kind of hard to get to)

“Gently” wiggle out the IAC from the throttle body. Gasket on the IAC can be re-used if it is not damaged

Clean the IAC with a spray can of throttle body cleaner; inexpensive and available at any place that sells auto parts. Throttle body cleaner is recommended rather than carburetor cleaner as it is less harsh, safe for throttle body coatings and is best for this task. Use cleaner, a rag and a toothbrush and or Q-Tips. Be gentle; don’t twist or pull on the pintle that protrudes from the IAC as it is fragile and you could damage it.

Thoroughly spray clean and flush where the IAC seats in the throttle body with the same spray cleaner

It is also a good idea to clean the entire throttle body itself, the butterfly valve inside of the throttle body and all associated linkage as long as you have things disassembled

An index to over 25 write-ups can be found in Post #1.

Cruiser's Mostly Renix Tips
Refresh*Connections*Before*Replacing*Components
cruiser54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2013, 11:09 AM   #5
chappytx
1999 TJ Wrangler 

My 99 TJ with a 4.0 was surging at idle. After reading this post I replaced my idle air control valve. Now my Jeep is idling smooth again.
chappytx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2013, 10:19 AM   #6
Gary2
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiser54 View Post
Not for your engine but just follow the basics.

Courtesy of TJWalker:
--------------------------------------------------------------------
The Idle Air Control (IAC) is mounted on the back of the throttle body. (front for 87-90) The valve controls the idle speed of the engine by controlling the amount of air flowing through the air control passage. It consists of a stepper motor that moves a pintle shaped plunger in and out of the air control passage. When the valve plunger is moved in, the air control passage flows more air which raises the idle speed. When the valve plunger is moved out, the air control passage flows less air which lowers the idle speed. Over time and miles, the IAC can get carboned up which can have an adverse affect on idle quality. Cleaning the IAC may restore proper function and is an easy procedure to perform and good preventive maintenance so it is never a bad idea.

CLEANING THE JEEP 4.0 IDLE AIR CONTROL

Remove the air filter cover, associated hoses and the rubber boot that goes from the air filter cover to the throttle body. Remove the IAC with a torx driver (2 bolts; one can be kind of hard to get to)

“Gently” wiggle out the IAC from the throttle body. Gasket on the IAC can be re-used if it is not damaged

Clean the IAC with a spray can of throttle body cleaner; inexpensive and available at any place that sells auto parts. Throttle body cleaner is recommended rather than carburetor cleaner as it is less harsh, safe for throttle body coatings and is best for this task. Use cleaner, a rag and a toothbrush and or Q-Tips. Be gentle; don’t twist or pull on the pintle that protrudes from the IAC as it is fragile and you could damage it.

Thoroughly spray clean and flush where the IAC seats in the throttle body with the same spray cleaner

It is also a good idea to clean the entire throttle body itself, the butterfly valve inside of the throttle body and all associated linkage as long as you have things disassembled
If it is the same as my 05 TJ the IAC is different than what I had on my 99. The 05 has only one mounting screw . It is not easily seen because it is on the bottom of the IAC. Once removed unlike previous years the seat and the valve will come out . it will be located between two O rings . Clean the same as any other year but some can't seem to locate the mounting screw don't be surprisred when it don't look like the older style . Its kind of nice being if you need to replace it you will also be installing a new seat as part of the assembly unlike the older IACs

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.