I6 question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > I6 question

Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955XHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at OcoFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 03-31-2004, 08:25 AM   #1
bamakrw
1986 CJ7 

I6 question

OK, here's my question, ok the top of the valve cover, there are a couple of holes in it. One is the for the oil cap, and the other is for the pvc ??? and there is another hole in the rear that has nothing in it or over it. Is there supposed to be something in there? If so, what? Because there is nothing in mine.

bamakrw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2004, 08:29 AM   #2
xxxflhrci

A hose goes from the valve cover to a fitting on the side of the aircleaner. There should be a small filter mounted in the side of your aircleaner.
xxxflhrci is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2004, 09:10 AM   #3
bamakrw
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxxflhrci
A hose goes from the valve cover to a fitting on the side of the aircleaner. There should be a small filter mounted in the side of your aircleaner.

That's not good. Wonder where I could find a pic of what it should look like? Wonder what would happen if I left it off?
Unread 04-01-2004, 07:25 PM   #4
ZmOz

Both hoses are part of the CCV system. There is no PCV on a 4.0. The one on the front is larger and goes from the valve cover to the air box, the other one is smaller and goes into the intake manifold.
ZmOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2004, 02:26 AM   #5
xxxflhrci

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZmOz
Both hoses are part of the CCV system. There is no PCV on a 4.0. The one on the front is larger and goes from the valve cover to the air box, the other one is smaller and goes into the intake manifold.
He doesn't have a 4.0. His Jeep is a '90 with the 4.2. So, he's got a PCV.

Last edited by xxxflhrci; 04-02-2004 at 02:31 AM..
Unread 04-02-2004, 02:29 AM   #6
xxxflhrci

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamakrw

That's not good. Wonder where I could find a pic of what it should look like? Wonder what would happen if I left it off?
You don't want to just leave it off, because there is vacuum there and you will suck dirt in to the engine. You also do not want to plug it up, because you will build pressure in the engine and develop an oil leak. You can get a plug in filter that goes in that hole. Lots of cars used to use them. Go to an auto parts store and get on the right size in diameter to fit the hole.
Unread 04-02-2004, 07:27 AM   #7
bamakrw
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxxflhrci
You don't want to just leave it off, because there is vacuum there and you will suck dirt in to the engine. You also do not want to plug it up, because you will build pressure in the engine and develop an oil leak. You can get a plug in filter that goes in that hole. Lots of cars used to use them. Go to an auto parts store and get on the right size in diameter to fit the hole.
Maybe that explains why oil is always so filthy after 1000k miles???
I plugged that hole up with a cap. What kind of plug in fliter? I'm not sure that I know what your talking about and most of the guys in the auto parts stores do not either. At least around here they don't.
Unread 04-02-2004, 07:43 AM   #8
xxxflhrci

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamakrw
Maybe that explains why oil is always so filthy after 1000k miles???
I plugged that hole up with a cap. What kind of plug in fliter? I'm not sure that I know what your talking about and most of the guys in the auto parts stores do not either. At least around here they don't.
There are several ways to do it fix your problem.

1.) Unplug your hole, put a plastic elbow in the grommet, put a piece of hose on it, and then put one of the filters like goes in the side of the factory air cleaner on it. You will just have to zip tie it up. Your auto parts store should have these. I know Fram makes 'em. Or you could leave that filter off, and stop by a shop that sells Harley parts and get a mini chrome crankcase filter. They are about 10 bucks. You can just put it on the end of the hose with a clamp.

2.) You can leave the hole plugged and find a breather oil cap to fit.

Here's a link that shows the kind of stick in breather that I was talking about. It is part #K in the chrome dress-up kit. Of course, it is more bling than you need, but you should be able to get a regular one at most any good autoparts store, because lots of cars in the 60-70 range had 'em.

http://www.mm-inet.com/new/763867.htm\

Here's a great pic of what they look like.

http://www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/ncommerc...93&prmenbr=361

Last edited by xxxflhrci; 04-02-2004 at 07:48 AM..
Unread 04-02-2004, 07:52 AM   #9
bamakrw
1986 CJ7 

Hey Thanks!
I love this forum. It's kind of like having a bunch of mechanics right beside you that always have some good ideas. Thanks again.
Unread 04-12-2004, 08:34 AM   #10
bamakrw
1986 CJ7 

OK, I was going to work on my jeep this weekend, went out and noticed it was leaking oil pretty bad and I am assuming it is because that I had not unplugged that hole quick enough. So, now I have a leak along the sides of valve cover (that I just put a new gasket on). Am I going to have to go buy another gasket and re-seal it or will it some how quit leaking one I unplug the hole?

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.