I6 4.0L hard starting - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > I6 4.0L hard starting

USA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4Warrior Products @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 06-23-2010, 10:50 AM   #1
beerbelly17
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I6 4.0L hard starting

my motor is a 1998 i6 4.0L and for some reason it just doesn't want to start i can either sit there and let it crank over perfectly fine for 45sec or let it crank over for a little bit then turn the key a 2nd time and it starts right up. also sometimes when it starts to start it sputters then dies. i had a mechanic take a 5 sec look because he just thought i had old spark plugs but he said they look newer. Any ideas on how to make it start better?

beerbelly17 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-27-2010, 12:43 PM   #2
JJ 03 Rubi
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Having the exact same problem on my 03. Seen one idea on ROF that said "Precats are plugged" apparently it is common and is a 80,000 mile warrannty issue. It said Precats are backordered because of Hi demand.
I myself was hoping to hear something much easier to resolve the probblem, but no luck yet.
JJ 03 Rubi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-02-2010, 03:25 AM   #3
oakmckinley
1999 TJ Wrangler 

My 99TJ does something similar and I heard it was a fuel problem. I can't remember the exact name of the "thingy" but it has something to do with keeping/holding the fuel pressure while its turned off. If the "thingy" is bad it takes a few seconds to build up fuel pressure to start.
Sorry about not knowing the name of the "thingy", I don't have the time to search for the post with the correct name.
1964 Ford Fairlane 500
oakmckinley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-02-2010, 04:54 AM   #4
RubiconBlack
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Fuel pressure regulator is the name for the "thingy"! lol Try turning the key on and off a couple of times before cranking the engine. Then try starting it up. If it fires up right away then you know that the regulator is allowing fuel pressure to bleed off while the vehicle is shut off. Hope this helps.
RubiconBlack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-06-2010, 07:56 AM   #5
beerbelly17
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubiconBlack View Post
Fuel pressure regulator is the name for the "thingy"! lol Try turning the key on and off a couple of times before cranking the engine. Then try starting it up. If it fires up right away then you know that the regulator is allowing fuel pressure to bleed off while the vehicle is shut off. Hope this helps.
ya i tried that and it starts right up where could i get a new pressure regulator and how hard is it to replace it or is it not even worth it.
beerbelly17 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-09-2010, 04:43 AM   #6
RubiconBlack
2004 TJ Wrangler 

The regulator is on top of the fuel pump sending unit. I'm not sure how much it would be in your area but thru Napa it is $164.45 part number CRB 219735. You can live with it, I know of a lot of Jeeps with this issue. My 95 ZJ had this issue and it had over 240K and I lived with it.
RubiconBlack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-09-2010, 07:38 AM   #7
oakmckinley
1999 TJ Wrangler 

My 99TJ has been doing this for 8 yrs now and it's been fine. At first I thought I might burn out the starter buts it hasn't happened. I usually try and crank it 2-3 secs (knowing it's not going to start) then go to the off and then crank it again and it always fires up.
1964 Ford Fairlane 500
oakmckinley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-09-2010, 02:15 PM   #8
jeep rio
1980 CJ5 

Have you checked the fuel pressure at the schrader valve on the fuel rail yet, That should tell you if your having a fueling issue atlest from the injectors back.
2006 TJ- Custom lift 4in Full traction springs, OME shocks, Kilby skid plates and bumper, Full traction 3 link in rear, JKS control arms upper lower, Banks exhaust, Edge trail jammer, 4.56's and true trac front, Eaton elocker rear. D30, D44

1995 YJ Rio Grande- 4.0l Swap 3.5 in 4wd hardware lift, Ford 8.8 Rear 4.10 gears.
jeep rio is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-09-2010, 07:54 PM   #9
cleanslate
1996 ZJ 

My 96ZJ does the same thing from time to time. I get out my thumpin stick and start rapping on the gas tank and the thing starts right up. If that don't work then I need somebody to turn the key while I'm beating on the tank. Then when it starts up it instantly revs up to about 2000-2500 and comes right back down as if somebody had their foot on the throttle when the engine fired.
cleanslate is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-14-2010, 04:37 PM   #10
GGibson

99.9% of the time when this is happening you will end up replacing the fuel pumps.....especially on the wranglers....They are notorious for low volume fuel and rapid drain backs into the tank and causing very hard starts and long crank times....Put a fuel gauge on and turn the key on and then turn it back off and see how fast the fuel goes back....You shouldnt loose too much pressure
GGibson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-14-2010, 06:15 PM   #11
dagr8tim

1997 XJ Cherokee 

It could be the check valve in the fuel pump/regulator assembly, or a leaky injector.

I've read a good test is to start the Jeep and once it's running, turn it off and put a set of vice grips on the fuel line. If awhile later you can remove the vice grips and start it with no issues, then it's the regulator. If not, it's probably an injector that's leaking into a cylinder.

The above procedure can also be performed with a mechanical gauge. If the fuel pressure drops with the vice grips in place, then leaky injector. If not then it's most likely the regulator.

97 XJ SE - DD/Light Trail Rig - The War Wagon
75 CJ5 with a badly chopped CJ7 Tub - Pandora
96 Land Rover Discovery - Black Dog; possible trail toy
dagr8tim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-24-2010, 05:47 AM   #12
peteandjo
2001 XJ Cherokee 

hard starting

I have a 2001 stock Cherokee which for two years was hard to start. It would turn over fine but not fire. Replaced the fuel pump twice and the crank sensor once. Finally it failed to run on all 6 cylinders and we determined it was a fuel injector. Replaced all 6 injectors ( and spark plugs while there) and it now starts fine.
peteandjo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-26-2010, 06:25 PM   #13
chainbrain2002
1997 TJ Wrangler 

sounds like the anti-drainback valve on the fuel system. or a leaking fuel injector. i agree with the above test of
pinching off the fuel line before the rail and seeing if it starts up or not on the first try.
chainbrain2002 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
4.0 , 4.0 liter , 4.0l , anti-drainback , excessive cranking , fuel pressure , hard start , i6 , long crank , long crank time

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.