I realy need help with a rear D44 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > I realy need help with a rear D44

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Stainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 03-31-2012, 09:08 PM   #1
76maverick

I realy need help with a rear D44

Hello fello jeepers, a couple of years ago I swapped a dana 44 that I got from a guy that got it from a guy that dont know what it came out of with no tag on the cover in the rear of my CJ 5 . Today I broke a rear axle trying to make my jeep climb over somthing that I knew it couldn`t but I almost made it lol. So here is everything I know about the axle... on the right tube it says 3 115a then 2191 or 2197 I could not find 6 didgets on the tube I wire brushed it sanded it cleaned it and even asked it nicely but thats all that is there. On the center it has c-30294 cast into it wich seems to be somewhat comon to d44s . Both axles are 28" from the flange to the end of the splines, it has the small 5 on 4.5 lug pattern , they are 19 spline axles and they are 1 17/32" where the seal and bearing goes. Also it dont take the standard wheel bearing as all other 44s I have had, it is a sealed ball bearing instead of the tapered cone style . One more thing the axles have the flanges made onto them it doesn`t take the funky tapered keyed shafts like in the 50s .
So can any of you please help me find out what it came out of so I can get my jeep going before mudfest . If all else fails who would be a place to call about getting an axle made ?

Thanks for any and all help,

Elliot.

76maverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2012, 10:26 PM   #2
badbird17x
Web Wheeler

1994 ZJ 

Not sure what it is but summit or jegs can get you custom axles from mark Williams, which are great axles.
94 jz, bruiser, la, cage,5.3 ls, 36 swampers 98 jz, the mutt, 3.5 iro, 33 swampers, avalanche conversion, 02 north face avalanche blacked out work truck, 06 rhino R1 engine, 4x4, Leeroy's custom paint, 04 escalade wifes truck 22s, 03 duramax 18s, completely blacked out, efilive by nick, wicked wicked truck, 39 chop chevy rod, aluminum 5.3 ls, 08 apex, 310hp mcx turbo, holz 162, completely black, CCM built.
badbird17x is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2012, 07:56 AM   #3
Happy Joe
1985 CJ7 

Need more info;
What is the lug patten size? - 5 on 4.5
How many wheel studs? 5
Is it flanged or a 2 piece hub? 1 piece
How many splines, at the carrier? (Some newer D44s have more than 30 very old ones can have much less). 19
What is the width wheel mounting surface to wheel mounting surface?
Is the carrier centered or offset?
Is the center section aluminum or iron?
Does the center section have a sensor for anti-lock brakes?
Does the center section have cast in mounts for a multi-link suspension?

Enjoy!

Its a puzzler the small bolt pattern flanged axle indicates a newer D44 but the 19 spline says old (If it was near 56-58" WMS-WMS and had 2 piece hubs, 5 on 4.5 I would guess early IH delivery truck).
I say head for the scrap yard and get something that is a known commodity;
For narrow track width, centered diff search for an early postal jeep rear (avoid the D35 diff in the newer ones).
For wide tracks a scout/800 D44 or something from an import (may have 6 bolt lug pattern and up to 33 splines.
What ever you get do avoid 19 spline axles they are quite weak, as you have found.

...Oh yeah, please fill in your profile so we can at least guess at part of the data...
Thanks!

Enjoy!

Carburetors became obsolete during the last century... do what ever it takes to get fuel injection...It makes bigger grins off road.
Happy Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2012, 09:32 AM   #4
76maverick

It has a centered cast iron diff , it don`t look like it has ever had a multilink set up on it just a set of perches . There is nothing there for abs or any other sensors. It does have a drain plug in the housing and it came with a real funky 10 spline yoke I got some pics...

The jeep it is in is a 77/79 cj5 with a 360 3 speed/dana20 wide track 30 in the front .
Unread 04-01-2012, 09:37 AM   #5
76maverick

Could I just change the spiders and have a set of 30 spline axles made ? I dont want to do that I`m just asking.

Thanks,

Elliot.
Unread 04-01-2012, 10:28 AM   #6
badbird17x
Web Wheeler

1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76maverick
Could I just change the spiders and have a set of 30 spline axles made ? I dont want to do that I`m just asking.

Thanks,

Elliot.
I would think that would work. Works with most other differentials. Maybe you can find a jy axle with same width and bearings, to swap axles and spiders.
94 jz, bruiser, la, cage,5.3 ls, 36 swampers 98 jz, the mutt, 3.5 iro, 33 swampers, avalanche conversion, 02 north face avalanche blacked out work truck, 06 rhino R1 engine, 4x4, Leeroy's custom paint, 04 escalade wifes truck 22s, 03 duramax 18s, completely blacked out, efilive by nick, wicked wicked truck, 39 chop chevy rod, aluminum 5.3 ls, 08 apex, 310hp mcx turbo, holz 162, completely black, CCM built.
badbird17x is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2012, 04:19 AM   #7
Happy Joe
1985 CJ7 

The 10 spline pinion says very old (possibly 1940s) as does the drain plug although some folks used to add them. However I believe that the axles in the 40s were 10 spline
The ball bearing axle bearings are common replacements as the old tapered roller bearings are no longer made.
I would guess that it is a very old axle that some one has put re-splined axles in (if the machinist is not careful re-splining can cut through the hardening and make an axle that breaks very easily); or a newer axle that someone has put a very old R&P in.
Spider gears are a viable option if you can find a matching 30 spline axle (hopefully with good tapered roller bearings). Like I said it will likely be cheaper and easier to grab a known axle from a scrap yard and drop it in.
If you are attached to the 5 on 4.5 pattern grab a 31 spline Ford 8.8 out of an explorer. Its stronger than most 30 spline D44s and should be really cheap, may also come with a limited slip and/or rear disks but it will have C-clips, they are roughly 58" WMS - WMS, be careful to get the 31 spline version, not the 28 spline version.
If for some reason you are attached to D44s then there are lots of better/stronger/more modern D44s to put in
pretty much any of which would be cheaper/easier than reworking that axle, especially if it has the weak open carrier.

Enjoy!

Edit here is some D44 (and other info);
http://z4.invisionfree.com/CJ3B_Bulletin_Board/ar/t3026.htm

I also found that 19 spline axles were used in Ford cars. Axle Shaft 27 31/32" long from the inside of the flange to the splined end for; 1952/56: Couriers, Station Wagons & 1955/56 Thunderbirds. ...no idea of the bolt pattern or if it will fit a 19 spline Dana 44 carrier/housing.
I also have found this referance but haven't had the time to verify it; "Early Merc's and maybe 49-51 Ford wagons + 1/2 ton PU's used the 44."

Enjoy!

Carburetors became obsolete during the last century... do what ever it takes to get fuel injection...It makes bigger grins off road.
Happy Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2012, 07:50 PM   #8
76maverick

I have done some more digging myself and have come to the same conclusion , the old ford cars had 5 on 4.5 and the trucks were 5 on 5.5 even back in the late 40s. I called summer brothers, moser and strange and the cheapest I can get one axle for is 200 dollars wich seems fair to me but I realy don`t want to through 200 bux at a week 19 spline axle. I thought about having a set made with 30 splines but that will be a few weeks turn around time and I want it fixed now lol. I forgot untill yesterday a buddy of mine put a 9 inch in his jeep a year ago and as it turns out he still has his old 44 settin around so for a 100.oo I`m getting my jeep ready to go again!

Oh yea I welded rambler centers on my white spokes (with a tape measure and a mig at three in the morning so I could go wheeling the next day) when I changed rear ends so now I got to change it back.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.