I need diff advice - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > I need diff advice

Save big with ExtremeTerrain.com's Top Spring Mods Sale!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineJeep Restorations, Mild to Wild! CCOR

Unread 07-09-2013, 11:23 AM   #1
freakfly23
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I need diff advice

I have a 97 wrangler with the Dana 35 rear and 30 front. I'm running 33x12.5x15 tires on the stock 3.07 gears. The diffs are open. I'm debating between upgrading the diffs and selling this jeep and getting a Rubicon with the 4.10 gears and lockers already in them. I live in south Florida. Mud is the typical off-road obstacle here. I daily drive the jeep when its raining, otherwise I ride a motorcycle. My question is, what set-up do I need to run 33's or maybe 35's on my terrain? Is there an affordable way to set up my current jeep or would I be better off getting a rubicon? I have researched this to death, but there is so much info out there. Thank you for any help.

freakfly23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2013, 07:48 PM   #2
TJ_Virgin
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Compare the price of getting selectable lockers and gears for the 97 to the price of upgrading to the rubicon. I'm sure the 33's will do you good. Then see if you can throw a winch on it as well.I hear you are asking for trouble putting big tires on a d35 and with selectable locker you can wheel open until you need to lock it up.
TJ_Virgin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2013, 03:15 PM   #3
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Auto or manual transmission?
Wheelin98TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2013, 05:12 PM   #4
freakfly23
1997 TJ Wrangler 

It's a manual tranny. I don't want to upgrade the d35. There is too much info out there about it being a bad idea. I'm shopping for Rubicon axles, but it is slim pickins out there. Where should I be looking. I live in south Florida.
Unread 07-23-2013, 06:59 PM   #5
BlueRubiconrich
1986 CJ7 

anything is better than a Dana 35 take a look at a Ford 8.8 out of a Ford Explorer.
BlueRubiconrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2013, 04:07 AM   #6
TJ_Virgin
2001 TJ Wrangler 

The rubi swap would probably be less hassle and has lockers.
TJ_Virgin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2013, 09:38 AM   #7
freakfly23
1997 TJ Wrangler 

What is the price range for a set of Rubicon axles?
Unread 07-24-2013, 09:43 AM   #8
Agent620
Rescue Red 5!

1999 TJ Wrangler 

I see them go for 1-2k each in my area when you can even find them. You can do an 8.8 swap for about 700 and then re gear the front for about 5-600. The 8.8 is also more readily available.
Chris Hansen is reading this thread.

If you've ever been in that traffic, you would have ground down the steering wheel with a death grip too. "Just ****ing GOOOOOO!!!!"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luuca View Post
I pitty anyone who tries to reach into that netting unaware.
'99 TJ (DD)
'89 XJ (WIP)
Agent620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2013, 09:52 AM   #9
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent620 View Post
I see them go for 1-2k each in my area when you can even find them. You can do an 8.8 swap for about 700 and then re gear the front for about 5-600. The 8.8 is also more readily available.
While I don't disagree that Rubicon axles sell for dumb prices, you are comparing apples and oranges. Throw a selectable air locker into your numbers for the front and rear if you want to make it a little more comparable.
Unread 07-24-2013, 11:06 AM   #10
Agent620
Rescue Red 5!

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffgnar View Post
While I don't disagree that Rubicon axles sell for dumb prices, you are comparing apples and oranges. Throw a selectable air locker into your numbers for the front and rear if you want to make it a little more comparable.
Say you get 2 lockers. Then the 8.8 swap, regear front, locker pump. There are things you will have to do to get the rubi axles to work, and that isn't even factored into the rubi axles price.

1600 lockers
700 8.8
500 regear
200 pump

Total: 3000

That still comes out a bit cheaper than rubi axles. That more apples to apples for you? Shoot, he might as well buy G2 axles and be done with it.

If you've ever been in that traffic, you would have ground down the steering wheel with a death grip too. "Just ****ing GOOOOOO!!!!"
Quote:
'99 TJ (DD)
'89 XJ (WIP)
Unread 07-24-2013, 11:13 AM   #11
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Say you get 2 lockers. Then the 8.8 swap, regear front, locker pump. There are things you will have to do to get the rubi axles to work, and that isn't even factored into the rubi axles price.

1600 lockers
700 8.8
500 regear
200 pump

Total: 3000

That still comes out a bit cheaper than rubi axles. That more apples to apples for you? Shoot, he might as well buy G2 axles and be done with it.
Yes, given that your prior post tried to suggest a number in the $1200-1300 as comparison. When you look at it right it is a lot more of a wash and really depends on price the rubicon axles can be obtained for.

As a separate question, I don't understand why people always push G2 axles. I really don't see them as that much of an upgrade, at least as configured to hit that price point.
Unread 07-24-2013, 11:24 AM   #12
Agent620
Rescue Red 5!

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
As a separate question, I don't understand why people always push G2 axles. I really don't see them as that much of an upgrade, at least as configured to hit that price point.
I don't think they are an upgrade per what most think, but over a D35 it might be. Haven't they been having QC issues lately? I will always prefer building my own axle as to buying one. But thats just me.

Quote:
'99 TJ (DD)
'89 XJ (WIP)
Unread 07-24-2013, 11:29 AM   #13
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I don't think they are an upgrade per what most think, but over a D35 it might be. Haven't they been having QC issues lately? I will always prefer building my own axle as to buying one. But thats just me.
Yep, they had a batch where people are spinning the tubes.

Building up an axle yourself is great option if you have the space, the tools and the talent. I'm not opposed to buying crate axles and in fact think they often are a better option than paying to have existing axles upgraded. I just think you need to be thoughtful about what crate axle you get and spend the money wisely.
Unread 07-24-2013, 11:44 AM   #14
Agent620
Rescue Red 5!

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Yep, they had a batch where people are spinning the tubes.

Building up an axle yourself is great option if you have the space, the tools and the talent. I'm not opposed to buying crate axles and in fact think they often are a better option than paying to have existing axles upgraded. I just think you need to be thoughtful about what crate axle you get and spend the money wisely.
Yes, you are right, I forgot most people don't have access to a garage like others. In that case a crate axle would be easier. I'm still waiting on dana crate axles, hah! What others are out there besides G2?

Quote:
'99 TJ (DD)
'89 XJ (WIP)
Unread 07-24-2013, 11:54 AM   #15
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
What others are out there besides G2?
Dynatrac and Currie probably the ones that get talked about the most, but there are lots of vendors who offer full axle builds.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.