I need advise on TR/Carb/FI - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > I need advise on TR/Carb/FI

Engo LED Flush Mount Lights *PAIR* Flood or Spot 1,600 LumYukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon ZipRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 04-01-2002, 07:52 AM   #1
81cj

I need advise on TR/Carb/FI

I posted this under CJ but I thought this was maybe a better forum. I have an 81cj with a 258.
I live in CA where they don't allow you to change much very easily. I hate the number of hoses
hooked up to the carb and was wondering about the TB system. Can you put on an adapter
and then just buy a 4.3 TB out of a junkyard? I like the idea and power of the actual dodge fuel
injection but that is SUPER pricey for me. I am doing a re-ring and bearing with a new camshaft
right now. When I put it back together maybe I would be better off just taking it to a good carb
guy to do the hoses and leave it carbureted. I inherited the jeep not running and right now the
hoses look like a monkey was swinging thru the engine compartment. Just looking for some good
opinions. Anyone else live in CA and do the same thing? I would love to at least make it throttle
body controlled.

Unread 04-01-2002, 09:25 AM   #2
OldJeepguy
1979 CJ7 

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by 81cj:
<strong>I posted this under CJ but I thought this was maybe a better forum. I have an 81cj with a 258.
I live in CA where they don't allow you to change much very easily. I hate the number of hoses
hooked up to the carb and was wondering about the TB system. Can you put on an adapter
and then just buy a 4.3 TB out of a junkyard? I like the idea and power of the actual dodge fuel
injection but that is SUPER pricey for me. I am doing a re-ring and bearing with a new camshaft
right now. When I put it back together maybe I would be better off just taking it to a good carb
guy to do the hoses and leave it carbureted. I inherited the jeep not running and right now the
hoses look like a monkey was swinging thru the engine compartment. Just looking for some good
opinions. Anyone else live in CA and do the same thing? I would love to at least make it throttle
body controlled.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Any mods you do can only be with C.A.R.B. approved products. There are several TBI systems that are CARB approved for the 258 but all are pricey.
I am in somewhat the same predicament with my new 360 that I'm going to replace my 304 with - I would really want FI but the only approved system is the Holley Projection and I've heard very little good about this system...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.