i need advice on my 258 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > i need advice on my 258

Baseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft KiBushed Sleeves & Poly Bushings!All our Different Weld Washers!

Unread 01-03-2002, 11:31 PM   #1
wishiniwasdiggin247

i need advice on my 258

I have a 88 wrangler i bought about 5-6 months ago. I knew it would have to be rebuilt when i bought it but i got a good deal so i did it anyways. I've never had a jeep before so i don't know anything about them. I'm gonna have to rebuild it so i need advice on how when i rebuild it, what can i do that won't cost a arm and leg to boost hp. I don't want alot just a little. Also i need info on what kind of exhaust systems are the loudest and work the best ie cat-back or just go with streight pipes. Thank you

Unread 01-05-2002, 07:20 AM   #2
glm 87 wrangler

Well when i got my jeep the motor was just rebuilt but my dad could not rember if it was bored 30 over or not he thinks it was.But as for better performance I am happy with mine and the cheapest way to solve alot of problems are to change the made to fail carter carb.I am running a weber and a TFI igniton system and did the ECM computor bypass called the Nutter bypass.It bypasses the emissions cpu so that the jeep excepts the carb upgrade and want try to keep changing the timming for you.The 3 mods I suggest will run about 500.00 buck the nutter bypass is free but you will need wire and connectors runs about 6.00 bucks.For the carb check out topendperformance.And for the TFI up grade go to www.driveajeep.com and for the nutter go to yj forum and click on to the Just did the nutter bypass oh man! Topic and click on the
3rd topic high light it will tell you about it.It may be on page 2 not sure just yet but
you can check into it. hope this helps.
Unread 01-05-2002, 11:25 PM   #3
wishiniwasdiggin247

Hey thanks alot. That sounds pretty good. I was just wondering though would it be ok to put streight pipes on it or would that be overkill? By the way i know it's not right but i think i'm gonna cut off my catalytic converter cause it's goin bad and i don't want to waste money on it right now. Any thought? Oh and one more question . My friend thinks that if i put new headers on it will also increase the power and sound. Any help would be greatly appricated.
Unread 01-05-2002, 11:41 PM   #4
401cj5

Fellow Alabamian - R U in Central Alabama? Because if you are there are a couple of us on this forum that can help you out. As for rebuilding the straight 6 that is a pretty easy job and unless you are going to get it bored, hottanked, and magnafluxed you can leave it in the engine bay. My first question to you is what is wrong with it now?

As for exhaust drillout or take out the cat if you want. You are in Alabama no one really cares here. When you have about $200 to spent on exhaust you need to go to Melvin's Radiator in Kimberly or Horton's in Mount Olive to get your exhaust done. You can get Flowmasters run with alluminized pipe, never rust, for right at $200. They both do great work. Anyway I hope that helps.

Your friend is right but I would not get headers for those reasons alone. I have always had headers on my CJ and they decay fast. You can get ones that are treated and that may be the way to go. In my situation I wanted dual exhaust run off my straight six. So I went with a Headman header that would split three exhaust valves off to one tail pipe and three to another. This was a great setup.

Good Luck,
Jason
4" Lift and Locked; 33X12.5 on 15x10

78 Wag Ltd - 360
400 Trans+Quadra-Trac with MM O/D kit
D44's frt and rear
2.5" AAL's for lift: 30.5x9.5 on stock Aluminum

79 J20 - 360
T-18 with 6.32 1st gear+D20
D44HD frt D60 rear
3" RCLift Blocks for rear; 31.50x10.50 on 16x8
8400# weight truck

80 Chero - 360 with Holley Projection
727 Trans+ 208
D44 frt Model 20 rear
4" Lift; 35x12.5 on 15x10[/COLOR]
401cj5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2002, 03:48 PM   #5
glm 87 wrangler

A cheap route on the exhaust is to go for a glass pack muffler.I know they dont last very long but for the money they are hard to beat.
As for you cat if you can get pass the laws go ahead and do it.Oh the glass pack will give you the sound that you might be looking for.Loud and proud.hope this helps
Unread 01-07-2002, 04:56 PM   #6
wishiniwasdiggin247

Thanks alot. That gave me some good ideas. My father-in-law has flow masters on his and they give it a good deap sound. I was looking for more of a loud rough sound. But i might end up going that way. I am from Jacksonville, If you don't know exactly where it is. It's about 10-15 miles north of anniston. I'm glad to meet someone from around here. Have you ever been to a place called jeep hill in gadsden? I have some friends who have been there but i haven't yet. I hear it's pretty awesome. Thank you too glm 87 wrangler. Later
Unread 01-07-2002, 09:32 PM   #7
401cj5

I have never been riding in Gadsden. A buddy and I were supposed to go ride in Gadsden but for whatever reason we did not make it.

Jason
4" Lift and Locked; 33X12.5 on 15x10

78 Wag Ltd - 360
400 Trans+Quadra-Trac with MM O/D kit
D44's frt and rear
2.5" AAL's for lift: 30.5x9.5 on stock Aluminum

79 J20 - 360
T-18 with 6.32 1st gear+D20
D44HD frt D60 rear
3" RCLift Blocks for rear; 31.50x10.50 on 16x8
8400# weight truck

80 Chero - 360 with Holley Projection
727 Trans+ 208
D44 frt Model 20 rear
4" Lift; 35x12.5 on 15x10[/COLOR]
401cj5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2002, 07:15 PM   #8
jerk with a jeep

I will be rebuilding my 89 YJ soon. I'm pretty much going with what glm wrangler did with his,but Iam going with a torquier cam.
I have some experience with six cylinder hopups. I have built a couple of chev sixes using clifford research components,headers,intakes,cam.
As far as sound goes, if you go with a header 2.5" exhaust and flow master I think you will get that throaty sound your after. In addition if you go with stronger valve springs and slightly higher compression you will get a crisp positive high performance sound, still throaty but precise like this thing is dead on hot. You end up with that low throaty potent header tinkle, sounds cool. A cheap way to more power is using a 4.0 head. I'm not going that route because it involves closing water jackets in the head. I like glm wrangler's approach, maximize what youv'e all ready got, its tried and true with gobbs of torque, Thats it.
jerk with a jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2002, 08:14 PM   #9
TJSahara

I cut the cat off my '87 and went with the TFX Kat-Back system. I think it was 150.00 and I installed it myself. I do not have a header though. It sounded pretty good though. Its 16 or 14ga. aluminized.
Unread 01-08-2002, 08:56 PM   #10
wishiniwasdiggin247

Thank you jerk with a jeep. Sounds cool. I'm just getting ideas on what i want to do when my engine does blow not that anything is wrong with it but it's over 195 k on it so it probably won't last much longer but you never know. Thank you to TJSAHARA i looked at that system in JC WHITNEY and thought about it but i think i'm gonna just go with getting some streight pipes bent and installing them myself. 401 CJ5 from what i hear there hasn't been anything but dune buggys with vette engins make it up jeep hill. My good friend lives right down the road from it and he says that it's realy steep and then there's a couple of rocks at the top you gotta climb and that's where everybody slides or rolls back down at. Any ways thought i would share that with you. Maybe i'll see some of yall out there sometime. Never know. Later guys
Unread 01-08-2002, 09:44 PM   #11
rivertrout10

Where in Gadsden is this place? Email me directions if you will - went to high school in calhoun county - very familiar with the area and have never heard of jeep hill.

dlane132@home.com

I would like to check it out next time I am in B'ham - which is often.

Derek

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.