"Hypothetical" Problem - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > "Hypothetical" Problem

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 03-31-2013, 11:42 PM   #1
JeepNJenn
2011 JK Wrangler 

"Hypothetical" Problem

Let's say you almost ran out of gas, but managed to pull up to the pump just in time. When you pull up, someone immediately tells you that there is smoke coming out of your Jeep. Your temperature light is normal, you pop the hood, no smoke, but it sure smells hot. Let's also say, that perhaps, the day before, when you were working on your winch wires and disconnected the battery to and winch cables from the battery, you missed a ground cable to the battery . Let's say that you then let the Jeep cool and finished your drive home. there were no engine problems, lights, warning, or noticeable smell, but when you arrived home it was hot again.

If this "hypothetical" situation happened to your friend, what do you think you might tell him (apart from the fact that' s/he is an idiot for leaving the cable disconnected and almost running out of gas.) Do you think the heat is from the loose ground cable or related to nearly running out of the gas? Is there any test the idiot can do before shelling out the dough to take the JK to the dealer?

2011 Sahara JKU - my first Jeep!
JeepNJenn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-31-2013, 11:47 PM   #2
Stud_man50
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I would say check all the other ground connections for overload. What ground was it that was forgotten to be reconnected?
Stud_man50 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-02-2013, 12:47 AM   #3
TDIJeep

The ground to the battery was not connected and your not on fire, and your jeep starts again? Don't worry, I did this to my commuter and fried the ECM byebye $600 bux. you may want to remove the winch so there is not reason for them to look any further. If your mad paranoid unplug a sensor crank it once it will store/display code. then plug back in, take to jeep be like WTF?
TDIJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-03-2013, 09:34 AM   #4
JeepNJenn
2011 JK Wrangler 

Thanks for your responses. After looking at it in the light I don't believe it was the loose wire at all. It was not hitting anything that should have caused sparks.

I did find however, it is leaking oil, likely the source of the hot smell. Uggh. To the dealer tomorrow. I had the oil changed less than a month ago and I am wondering if they left the old fuel filter in or didn't quite get things tight or if it is the classic oil leak problem. Warranty should cover it, hopefully.

2011 Sahara JKU - my first Jeep!
JeepNJenn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.