Hypereutectic -vs- Cast Pistons - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Hypereutectic -vs- Cast Pistons

Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 04-14-2004, 05:52 PM   #1
karter74

Hypereutectic -vs- Cast Pistons

Hey guys, I need some help on deciding what pistons to use on my rebuild of my 87 XJ. I don't plan on stroking it due to my inability to find a 4.2 crank and rods (if you know where I can find some, please tell me!) so I want to go ahead and just do a small build up of the 4.0. Right now my current plans are getting either the Sealed Power 677P or the Hypereutectic pistons of the same. I will be boring the engine .030" over and putting in either Crane Cams 753901 or 750501 (can't decide, since I'm not stroking the engine, what cam is good for me?) I hear good/bad things of the Hypereutectic pistons, saying they are stronger, yet more brittle to higher performance. Which should I use to rebuild the engine, Hypereutectic or the normal cast? Thanks!

karter74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2004, 09:49 AM   #2
MudMonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by karter74
Hey guys, I need some help on deciding what pistons to use on my rebuild of my 87 XJ. I don't plan on stroking it due to my inability to find a 4.2 crank and rods (if you know where I can find some, please tell me!) so I want to go ahead and just do a small build up of the 4.0. Right now my current plans are getting either the Sealed Power 677P or the Hypereutectic pistons of the same. I will be boring the engine .030" over and putting in either Crane Cams 753901 or 750501 (can't decide, since I'm not stroking the engine, what cam is good for me?) I hear good/bad things of the Hypereutectic pistons, saying they are stronger, yet more brittle to higher performance. Which should I use to rebuild the engine, Hypereutectic or the normal cast? Thanks!
PM Mudlover to ask about the crank

[COLOR=red][B][SIZE=3]RED JEEP CLUB MEMBER #78[/SIZE] [/B] [/COLOR]
[B][COLOR=red]BIG GUNS[/COLOR] [COLOR=white]AND[/COLOR] [COLOR=blue]JEEP[/COLOR] OWNERS OF AMERICA CLUB MEMBER #3[/B]
[B][COLOR=Red]Red[/COLOR][COLOR=Blue] Neck [/COLOR] [COLOR=Red]Jeep[/COLOR][COLOR=Blue] Club[/COLOR][COLOR=White]Member#27[/COLOR][/B]Fire Engine Red '85 CJ-7, Howell FI-258, T-176, D300, 9", Warn Internal Hubs, Wagoneer front springs, RE Wrangler's in the rear, 33" TrXus', HEI conversion, Taurus fan, no emissions junk, and some 150w daylighters
MudMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2004, 07:34 AM   #3
KAKERS

Quote:
Originally Posted by karter74
The Hypereutectic are a good choice for moderate, naturally aspirated performance applications. They are generally considered a compromise between the strength of a forged, and the thermal stability & lightness of a cast piston. For a run-of-the-mill 4.0, whether stroked or not, they are overkill. Go with the cast, you won't be disappointed. Should be cheaper too.

For the 4.2 crank/rods try Hesco in Birmingham AL. They sell 4.0 stroker kits and will definitely have access to the crank/rods/pistons you're looking for. Good luck.
KAKERS is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.