How much does it cost to rebuild an engine? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > How much does it cost to rebuild an engine?

Eliminate Hood Flutter!!!Thursday Savings BlastIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 07-05-2003, 08:26 PM   #1
AK1904

How much does it cost to rebuild an engine?

i have a 4cyl i was just wondering how much it would cost to rebuild

AK1904 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-06-2003, 02:37 PM   #2
OldJeepguy
1979 CJ7 

Depends on how extensive a rebuild is required - I did my AMC 360 last year and spent $1,900 on machine work and parts. I had it bored .030 over, new pistons, completely balanced, etc..
I would imagine you could do the 4cyl for around $1,200 in machine work and new parts - you will have to assemble it yourself of course...
Unread 07-06-2003, 08:13 PM   #3
AK1904

so in other words it would almost be better to swap in a new engine and more powerful engine
Unread 07-07-2003, 08:21 PM   #4
OldJeepguy
1979 CJ7 

I certainly think it is - I upgraded from a 304 to a 360 since it costs the same to rebuild either one.
Unread 07-07-2003, 09:08 PM   #5
AK1904

yea well i have a 4cyl right now so i would have to change other stuff along with the engine to
Unread 07-08-2003, 06:20 AM   #6
fuzz401
1978 CJ7 

I have a 87YJ auto. what motors will bolt up to it.I have been told that a ford 302,and a AMC 304 will.And that a older 258 out of a cj will have to change mounts.Any info will be helpful.

Thanks,

Gary

Jason replied:

What motors will bolt to your factory automatic depends on what the factory motor is. If you had the 258 inline 6 cylinder AMC engine then you could bolt any of the Jeep straight sixes or any AMC V8 to the transmission as they all share the standard AMC bolt patter. No other engine uses this patter and as such no Ford 302 will bolt up to it. In many cases it is fairly simple to adapt a Jeep manual transmission to a Ford motor because Jeep and Ford often used the same transmissions. This is true in some of the late 70s and early to mid 80s CJs. All you would have to do is change the bell housing and make sure you had the proper clutch and pilot bushing and you would be good to go.

On the other hand if you have the 2.5 liter AMC 4 cylinder engine you would find that there are fewer engines to choose from. The AMC 4 cylinder engine doesn't use the standard AMC bellhousing, instead it uses the same bellhousing that you find on the 60 degree Chevy V-6s and such. While not all of these motors are V-6s the majority of the motors you will find with this pattern will be 6 cylinders, the one exception I can think of off the top of my head would be the Cadillac Northstar V-8s. GM had several different V-6s that use this pattern in both front and rear wheel drive applications. A good example would be the relatively unreliable 2.8 liter V-6.
turbo 400 tranny 2500 stall
model 20 transfer case
aj delux glass body
4" lift
dana 30 frount
dana 44 rear
4.56 gears
http://img2.photobucket.com/albums/v...slideshow=true
http://photobucket.com/albums/v31/fu...slideshow=true
13.461 @ 92.45 mph on 37" super swampers on 1/4 mile
fuzz401 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-08-2003, 09:18 PM   #7
JeepinGirlinFl

I rebuilt my 258 I6 for like 1100 with :
http://www.rebuilt-auto-engines.com/...52102183591.70

Rebuilt Engine

It came with a 7 year warranty. So far, I'm very happy with their work!! Highly recommended.
JeepinGirlinFl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-13-2003, 11:35 PM   #8
Charley

Wow things are a lot more expensive in CA

I had my machine work done and parts for $800. That includes a reground crank, bored over .030, new pistons, head work done etc. I did have to put the head on the block, install the accessories, and put the engine in the truck. This was a 258 6 banger out of a Scout BTW.

Charley
Charley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.