how much does a 258 long/short block weigh? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > how much does a 258 long/short block weigh?

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Clayton Off Road JK Short Arm Suspension Kits~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 03-27-2002, 02:09 PM   #1
Brendan

how much does a 258 long/short block weigh?

I think I have finally found a suitable engine to build up, and its free. The only problem is, its in Florida, and I'm in CT. I have my pilots license, so I could fly down, but I'm concerned about the wieght factor. The other alternative is having them ship it up here. How much do you think it would weigh, and what would it cost to ship?

95 YJ 2.5L 5 Speed

Fightin a war against Florida Rust!
Brendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2002, 04:51 PM   #2
4wheeler4CJ

Although flying down would be fun, LOL, (Hell, I'd take the trip with you if you needed a companion, I love flying!) it probably would be easier to have it shipped.

I have shipped motors, and I would have to guess that by truck freight it would be about $150 to $200, depending on the carrier, from FL to CT (I am in RI, and have shipped to FL).

I usually use ABF, <a href="http://www.abf.com" target="_blank">www.abf.com</a> to ship by truck. Check them out!

But, remember, if you're gonna fly down and need a companion......
4wheeler4CJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2002, 04:55 PM   #3
gosling1

I seem to recall reading somewhere that the 258 weighs about 440 lbs. I'm not 100% on that. As soon as I get the chance I will dig it up.

chris

Tango Uniform
gosling1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2002, 06:09 PM   #4
Brendan

What would my pals in Florida have to do to send me their motor? Would they have to put it in some sort of special crate, or would ABF do it all for them? I would definantly be willing to pay $200 bucks. I don't think the weight and balance would check out on the flying I'm not rated to fly anything that could haul what would essentially be cargo. Anything else I should know before making arrangements?

95 YJ 2.5L 5 Speed

Fightin a war against Florida Rust!
Brendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2002, 07:38 AM   #5
4wheeler4CJ

They could get away with simply strapping it securely on a pallet. It doesn't have to be complete enclosed in a crate.

Personally, I would completely enclose it, it is safer, so it doesn't get damaged, they could just screw some plywood to the crate after strapping it down. Then they could have ABF pick it up or can save $20 by dropping it at their warehouse. Make sure there is someone there to forklift it before going to drop it off.
Unread 03-28-2002, 10:55 AM   #6
Bulletproofcj7

Why are you looking all the way down into florida for a 258? Is there something special about this one?
you said you were going to build it up anyway so why not find one closer to home? they are pretty comon. I have one up here in western mass that I am planning on sending to the bone yard. it needs manifolds and a valve cover but its yours if you want it. it ran great when i took it out.
Jason
1982 cj7. Frame off. shell valley kevlar body, stainless hinges, Bestop seats and supertop, KC titanium lights, Homemade swing out tire carrier with spare front wheel bearings/hub, Built 304,DUI,Edelbrock shorty headers with dual stainless 21/2 tubes into incynerator cans 21/4 dumped out the back,Edelbrock 600cfm, performer intake and cam, Borgeson lower column, Centerforce clutch, NV-4500, Dana 300 w/custom built twin stick, Homade 1/4" steel skid plate, 2.5 soft ride w/ 1" shackle lift, 33x12.5 mtr's. Stainless fuel and brake lines, Braided hoses. more...
Bulletproofcj7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2002, 12:58 PM   #7
4wheeler4CJ

Hey Brendan,

If you go that route (Bullet's 258), I have the manifolds for it if you want stock ones, you're welcome to them as well.

I have a complete 1976 232ci motor that I disassembled, I have all the parts still sitting in my trailer.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.