How long to wear out a distributor? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > How long to wear out a distributor?

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippHuge Soft top SaleUSA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4

Unread 02-04-2006, 01:26 AM   #1
ak-rider

How long to wear out a distributor?

Hi all- FNG here.

I've got ~185K miles on my 97 TJ 4.0L. I'm the original owner, I do all my own maintenance on a regular basis, and up till now I've have had little to no engine problems thus far.

Recently I started getting some rough running when accellerating after a cold start. And the check engine light came on (for the first time ever) a couple of times (code 43). I thought I would start the diagnostics with a fresh tune up, but when I was changing out the cap and rotor I noticed some play in the distributor shaft that I had never noticed before. It easily wiggles in all directions (including up and down) at least an eighth of an inch, maybe more. Like I said, I've never noticed this before.

Does it sound like the distributor is worn out?

Anybody know how much "wiggle" there should be?

Anybody know where I can get a new one?

Thanks for the help guys.

ak-rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2006, 01:07 PM   #2
bobjp

It sounds like it is worn out. Mine goes up and down a very small amount, but not side to side. I wouldn't buy a new one, I would try to find one at a junkyard. They are easy to take out.
bobjp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2006, 02:12 PM   #3
JoBo

I had a worn out one on a 96 xj 4.0L and I was going to rebush the housing. I took it appart and found it was the shaft was worn, not the housing. Autozone $54 exchange as I recall.
2000 Cherokee Classic with factory 16" wheels
JoBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2006, 02:17 PM   #4
ak-rider

Thanks for the confirmation guys. Guess it's time to get a new one.
ak-rider is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.