How long can I go refilling oil? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > How long can I go refilling oil?

Smittybilt Products at Oconee Off-Road!Alloy USA Still AvailableCurrie Currectlync Steering Upgrade Kits and Currie Anti-R

Unread 10-25-2012, 08:37 PM   #1
wvujaw
2013 JK Wrangler 

How long can I go refilling oil?

Tell me if you've heard this story before, bought a " good looking jeep" only to run into problems immediately. My main issue now is the engine is burning oil like crazy and has a leak that isnt too bad, but will probably get worse. Long story short I'm putting oil in it on a regular basis. I am 12 mo's from an engine swap, here's the biggest laugher its my DD, my commute is roughly 10-12 miles so thats my only advantage. I see white smoke out of the exhaust when accelerating. When the oil is low I get a strong gas smell. Its a 2.5 and I really want a new engine and hate to put any $ in it, but it needs to last until next fall. Should I get it fixed or keep dumping oil in it. Its a 84 CJ7 2.5. I'm not at the point of DIY so I would have to pay for all repairs. Advice, opinions, jokes have at it!

wvujaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2012, 09:53 PM   #2
Jason
2005 TJ Wrangler 

How much oil do you need to add? As long as it has oil in it, it's fine.
Jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2012, 10:21 PM   #3
wvujaw
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
How much oil do you need to add? As long as it has oil in it, it's fine.
I dont have it down yet but maybe a quart every two weeks. I'm still trying to track the patterns, so many other things were wrong before I even noticed this.
wvujaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-26-2012, 02:20 AM   #4
5-90
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvujaw View Post
Tell me if you've heard this story before, bought a " good looking jeep" only to run into problems immediately. My main issue now is the engine is burning oil like crazy and has a leak that isnt too bad, but will probably get worse. Long story short I'm putting oil in it on a regular basis. I am 12 mo's from an engine swap, here's the biggest laugher its my DD, my commute is roughly 10-12 miles so thats my only advantage. I see white smoke out of the exhaust when accelerating. When the oil is low I get a strong gas smell. Its a 2.5 and I really want a new engine and hate to put any $ in it, but it needs to last until next fall. Should I get it fixed or keep dumping oil in it. Its a 84 CJ7 2.5. I'm not at the point of DIY so I would have to pay for all repairs. Advice, opinions, jokes have at it!
How much oil do you add, and how often?

I had a 1985 Cavalier with the V6-2.8 that effectively changed its own oil - I dumped in about a quart every ten days, I'd change the filter and top it off twice a year. Ran fine - the only real problem I had with the 2.8 in that car was that it had a leak on the rear valve cover that I couldn't resolve. (The 2.8L is horribly misapplied in small trucks - it's too "high-strung." It's like AMC putting the VW/Audi 4-121 into the Gremlin, Pacer, and Spirit - the chassis was too heavy for the engine.)

Drove it that way for four years, before I traded it in on a 1992 Corsica with the V6-183 (3.1L) - which was a markedly better engine. The Corsica handled much better - despite having a larger ground footprint and a kerb weight 300# more! Same transaxle, but a better engine.

As long as you keep the oil topped up, you'll be fine. Try to not let it get more than a quart low if you can avoid it - if you have to add oil more frequently than one quart every seven days' service, find and repair the leak.
Unread 10-26-2012, 06:38 AM   #5
Jason
2005 TJ Wrangler 

As long as you're keeping it filled with oil, it doesn't matter.

As said above, if you have to more than a quart a week or so, you'll probably want to find the leak.
Jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-26-2012, 09:05 AM   #6
mdm
Farm Wheeler
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
...the engine is burning oil like crazy...I see white smoke out of the exhaust when accelerating...
White smoke? Burning oil would be blue. White smoke is coolant getting into a combustion chamber. Check your coolant level. Check for coolant in the oil.
Unread 10-27-2012, 08:03 PM   #7
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
You have a tired engine. Worn rings/bearings/leaks expalins the oil loss/burning. It could have been casued by ring wash. Ring wash is when unbrunt fuel ends up in your base pan. It thins out the oil and causes excessive wear. And it can get explosive!

Getting older, I have developed some special skills. I have the ability to cough, sneeze, fart and pee at the same time.

"If we cannot afford to take care of Veterans, then we should stop making them."
David C. Wilker Jr. USAF (RET)
laybackman is online now   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.