How an engine works - In detail - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > How an engine works - In detail

Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!GEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 01-29-2013, 01:48 PM   #1
catnip15
2002 TJ Wrangler 

How an engine works - In detail

Ever since I got my TJ I have become fascinated with cars in general and how they work. I wish I would have taken a automotive class in high school but back then I wasn't interested in cars at all. Now that I have my TJ not only do I enjoy working on it myself, I like learning about it and how everything works. I took a automotive class in college to get a little bit better of an understanding and plan to take many more but for now I am looking for some education on my own and hopefully you guys can help me out.

If you guys/gals have any good writeups with pictures/video or any other info I would gladly appreciate it. I tres googling how an engine works in general and it just gave me a bunch of crappy links to EHow and such. Not only do I want to know how it works but what it is made up of and how the internal parts work together: camshaft, lifters, rocker arms, push rods, valves, crank, ect.

Thank you

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/stubby-02-tj-build-thread-dd-2523578/
catnip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2013, 02:36 PM   #2
baldfatdad

Get Smokey Yunick's and Soichiro Honda's books. Get and old lawn mower engine someone is throwing out and take it apart.
baldfatdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2013, 02:38 PM   #3
Demp
2013 JK Wrangler 

Howstuffworks.com is the greatest thing ever.

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/engine.htm
Demp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2013, 03:49 PM   #4
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

This is pretty cool, too.

http://www.animatedengines.com/

An index to over 25 write-ups can be found in Post #1.

Cruiser's Mostly Renix Tips
Refresh*Connections*Before*Replacing*Components
cruiser54 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2013, 05:14 AM   #5
Jeep4869
1998 TJ Wrangler 

start with a lawn mower engine..basic internal combustion engine.. you I6 is just 6 lawn mower engines tied together..just a little more complicated

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.