How an engine works - In detail - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > How an engine works - In detail

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsWant to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under

Unread 01-29-2013, 02:48 PM   #1
catnip15
2002 TJ Wrangler 

How an engine works - In detail

Ever since I got my TJ I have become fascinated with cars in general and how they work. I wish I would have taken a automotive class in high school but back then I wasn't interested in cars at all. Now that I have my TJ not only do I enjoy working on it myself, I like learning about it and how everything works. I took a automotive class in college to get a little bit better of an understanding and plan to take many more but for now I am looking for some education on my own and hopefully you guys can help me out.

If you guys/gals have any good writeups with pictures/video or any other info I would gladly appreciate it. I tres googling how an engine works in general and it just gave me a bunch of crappy links to EHow and such. Not only do I want to know how it works but what it is made up of and how the internal parts work together: camshaft, lifters, rocker arms, push rods, valves, crank, ect.

Thank you

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/stubby-02-tj-build-thread-dd-2523578/
catnip15 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-29-2013, 03:36 PM   #2
baldfatdad

Get Smokey Yunick's and Soichiro Honda's books. Get and old lawn mower engine someone is throwing out and take it apart.
baldfatdad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-29-2013, 03:38 PM   #3
Demp
2013 JK Wrangler 

Howstuffworks.com is the greatest thing ever.

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/engine.htm
Demp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-29-2013, 04:49 PM   #4
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

This is pretty cool, too.

http://www.animatedengines.com/

An index to over 25 write-ups can be found in Post #1.

Cruiser's Mostly Renix Tips
My Jeep Technical Photos

http://www.cherokeeforum.com/g/album/1725214
cruiser54 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-05-2013, 06:14 AM   #5
Jeep4869
1998 TJ Wrangler 

start with a lawn mower engine..basic internal combustion engine.. you I6 is just 6 lawn mower engines tied together..just a little more complicated

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.