How to adjust idle? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > How to adjust idle?

Even Better Heim Pricing! From RuffstuffSteering and more from Ruffstuff!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!

Unread 07-12-2010, 08:48 PM   #1
Sykora171

1999 TJ Wrangler 

How to adjust idle?

My 1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo is acting up. On cold start, my jeep's idle is just above the zero on the tachometer. so its about 100 rpms. after driving for a while it finally goes to about 400 rpms. which is still too low for my taste. whats going on? and how can this be adjusted??

Sykora171 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-12-2010, 11:38 PM   #2
greyarea
1990 YJ Wrangler 

How is it running at those rpm?
Unread 07-14-2010, 01:10 AM   #3
Sykora171

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyarea View Post
How is it running at those rpm?

You got me man. lol you know how you can hear the pistons going when the engine is on? you can seriously hear how slow they're moving when its at 100 rpm. it doesnt even make sense. the jeep just doesn't wanna give up. i think i can i think i can!
Unread 07-14-2010, 01:18 AM   #4
MilitaryJK4455
Web Wheeler
2010 JK Wrangler 

Tighten down the cable thats attatched to the throttle thingy on top of the motor until the idle is where you want it... You could use your fingers on a 350... This could be totally wrong as I know nothing about your motor... Hope this helps

Its not directly on top of the motor btw... It should be off to one side.
MilitaryJK4455 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-14-2010, 08:26 AM   #5
lostone73
2000 TJ Wrangler 

That engines idle speed is controlled by the PCM and I.A.C solenoid. There is no external adjustment. there is another problem causing your low idle. IE; vacuum leak, low fuel pressure ect.

Hope to be a help.
lostone73 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-14-2010, 11:24 AM   #6
Sykora171

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostone73 View Post
That engines idle speed is controlled by the PCM and I.A.C solenoid. There is no external adjustment. there is another problem causing your low idle. IE; vacuum leak, low fuel pressure ect.

Hope to be a help.
thanks guys, i just remembered that the power cord thing (dont know the name) that plugs into the throttle position sensor was loose before and cause my idle to go craazy. i'll clean the IAC and make sure that thing is in all the way. i'll get back to you guys on that. but keep the thread going
Unread 07-14-2010, 05:25 PM   #7
Sykora171

1999 TJ Wrangler 

OKay I need URGENT help now. throttle body is clean and stuff. but just now, the jeep lost all idle. had to restart it 50 times to get it home. it wont idle at all. unless i unplug a vacuum line at the end of the block. anyone know why? what does this mean?! help!
Unread 07-14-2010, 10:57 PM   #8
greyarea
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Sounds like the idle circuit is cloged with carbon. Did you remove the throttle body from the intake to clean it?
Unread 07-15-2010, 02:21 AM   #9
Sykora171

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyarea View Post
Sounds like the idle circuit is cloged with carbon. Did you remove the throttle body from the intake to clean it?
ah no i didnt today..but i actually removed the IAC to clean it like a week ago. thats when i bumped my throttle position sensor (tps) and it broke. so we put the old one in cause we replaced it before. i think it might just be the tps..who knows. i ordered another one. should be here in a few days..this sucks. it seriously idles at maybe 50 rpm. that shouldnt even be possible!!
Unread 07-15-2010, 01:41 PM   #10
Sykora171

1999 TJ Wrangler 

okay so i removed the IAC and cleaned it throughly. and i thought hey, i know i have a new IAC in the garage that we never used. so for the heck of it i put it in and now my idle is in around 500 rpm. still a little lower than average, but it'll do. haha at least its running again. and for the heck of it i thought ill run the engine without an IAC to see what happens. big mistake. hahahahaha went from 0 to 3000 rpms in half a second. but yeah, idle is kinda normal now.
Unread 07-15-2010, 05:54 PM   #11
greyarea
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Sorry I did not clarify properly I was referring to the air passage in the throttle body not the IAC. I had mine on a dodge clog on me and had similar symptoms as you do now with the new IAC and pulled the TB and cleaned the passage with a dental pick to get the carbon buildup out and it ran great.

Tags
adjust idle , idle , low idle , zj

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.