Holley carb and engine assistance - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Holley carb and engine assistance

Poison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955OPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 05-10-2014, 04:48 PM   #1
ukenout
1979 CJ5 

Holley carb and engine assistance

Hello folks, been awhile since i've been on. Been having an issue getting my 79 CJ5 with 258 , 4.0 Head swap to run right. I added an Offy 4 barrel intake as well as put on a Holley 470 TA carb along with a 4 barrel carb spacer to get it properly mounted as the linkages would allow for a flush mount. It has the 57 jets in there right now and the power valve was replaced to the correct pv as I was drawing 22 pounds of vacuum. My issues are the carb seems to always run rich and the exhaust has a strong fuel smell, so much it gets into my clothes when I drive it. I've opened the gap up on some fresh spark plugs last weekend to .045. I have also done the Team Rush upgrade in the past.
I'm wondering if the carb is just to much carb and I should have gone with a 390cfm. One thing I did do with the carb was add the non adjustable fuel bowls to it that way I wouldn't have to fiddle with it. Seems though i'm fiddling with it way to much!!!!
Any suggestions will greatly be appreciated.

ukenout is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2014, 09:31 AM   #2
jeepdaddy2000
Web Wheeler

1971 CJ5 

Rich at idle? readjust the idle mixture. Check to see if the power valve is leaking.
Rich under cruise? try a smaller jet
Rich under acceleration (secondaries closed)? smaller power valve. Secondaries open, smaller secondary jets
If your smelling exhaust on your clothes while your driving, YOU MUST RE-ROUTE YOUR EXHAUST
jeepdaddy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.