hole in oil pan - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > hole in oil pan

WJ Shackle Tabs: Tow-Hook Replacements2014 Spartan Locker Special - While Supplies Last! Dana 3FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 03-21-2004, 09:19 PM   #1
jugger

hole in oil pan

I recently took my jeep off the road while it was icy out. I hit a rock and there is a inch long hole in the oil pan. I was going to take off the oil pan and weld it back together. But my dad wants to just reweld it when its still on the car.( its a b**tch to take it off) This sounds kind of hard to me, see as its near all this oil residue, has anyone ever had this problem? any suggestions?

jugger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-22-2004, 10:08 AM   #2
DanB

I guess if you get it clean enough you could weld it.

Just remember oil burns.
DanB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-22-2004, 11:07 AM   #3
BamaJeeper

It's a B**** to remove??
Just imagine if it were a Honda oil pan and then it seems REALLY easy.
Remove it, clean it, remove paint from weld area, clean again, and weld it.
Should only take two hours.
Unread 03-22-2004, 06:09 PM   #4
yj_magnus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaJeeper
It's a B**** to remove??
Just imagine if it were a Honda oil pan and then it seems REALLY easy.
Remove it, clean it, remove paint from weld area, clean again, and weld it.
Should only take two hours.
I thought that once.........................once.
I have a 91' with 154,000 miles on it, and I don't think my pan had ever been off. About 15 minutes to get all the bolts out......then 1.5 hours to pry the pan off the block......then another 4 hours cleaning the old gasket off the pan and the block (maybe a dremil would have helped)(and safety glasses!!)......half an hour flattening out the bends where I was prying.......anther half an hour to put it back together. So with a lunch break and a couple trips to the bathroom, I wasted almost 8 hours of my day.

Drain it, degrease it, and weld it where it is!!!
Unread 03-24-2004, 06:15 AM   #5
BamaJeeper

4 hours to remove the gasket? Must not have been the factory one-piece gasket but a Felpro crappy three-piece gasket.
Unread 03-24-2004, 03:43 PM   #6
yj_magnus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaJeeper
4 hours to remove the gasket? Must not have been the factory one-piece gasket but a Felpro crappy three-piece gasket.
By the time I got it off, there was no way to tell what it had been. It was nothing but crumbs.
Unread 03-25-2004, 02:08 PM   #7
jugger

The problem i had is the fact that the brake line, along with some other stuff under there, crossed over the pan in a few different spots. in order to take the pan off i would have to take all this other sh*t off. not really worth the time.
jugger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-25-2004, 02:24 PM   #8
yj_magnus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jugger
The problem i had is the fact that the brake line, along with some other stuff under there, crossed over the pan in a few different spots. in order to take the pan off i would have to take all this other sh*t off. not really worth the time.
Wow, thats kinda weird. Theres nothing under my oil pan but a mud shield and the axle. My brake lines run around the front of the frame and along below the radiator. (not the back ones ) What year is your rig?
Unread 03-25-2004, 09:20 PM   #9
BlackWhyJay

I tore a hole in mine then proceeded to bring it to my friend's house and he welded it while i stood there, took 10 minutes.

THIS IS NOT A SMART IDEA!!!!

It worked like a charm tho.
www.newenglandjeepz.com
90 Lifted and locked YJ
BlackWhyJay is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-30-2004, 01:07 PM   #10
n1ywb

JB Weld.

20 characters.
n1ywb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-03-2004, 07:25 PM   #11
EvilJackBall

Use a dremel with a sanding bit and go real lightly on the old gasket (so you don't eat up the pan) should take the gasket off in about 15 minutes.
EvilJackBall is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-14-2004, 10:20 AM   #12
jeepsonly

IF you decide to remove it, plan to replace the rear main seal at the same time. It's right there anyway and eventually you'll need to replace it anyway, depending on the age. I paid someone to replace my oil pan and rear main seal and it cost me $120 for labor. I'm one of those people that would have needed 8-40 hours to do the same job :-)
jeepsonly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.