Highschool Dana 35 Axle problem - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Highschool Dana 35 Axle problem

THE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsCurrie

Unread 05-01-2012, 07:13 PM   #1
markjolly
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Highschool Dana 35 Axle problem

I have an 01 wrangler X with 4" lift on 35" tires and this weekend i blew out my rear spider gears climbing a hill.. Or at least i think it was the spiders. I was able to drive it home (30 min drive) in 4H and now the rear driveshaft has a lot of play and i cant drive it in 2wd because of the clunking in the rear diff. I get paid friday and am going to buy new spiders (3.07) to try and get it running again as a dd. but eventually i want to get a Ford 8.8 rear geared to 4.88 and regear my front to 4.88 as well being that im running 35's. Ive been doing some research and i think thats the route i want to take, but im not sure. I'm 17 and am on a highschool budget.. So i dont have the time, money, tools, or mechanical abilities to refurbish an 8.8 and weld trusses on it myself. I was looking at http://eastcoastgearsupply.com/i-276...-assembly.html For an 8.8 that way i can get it all done to my specifications and be able to install it. I was wondering on getting opinions on this option and what other options i may have given my current situation, and what other things i should consider. Since i broke the d35 i want to do it right the first time. Ive watched countless videos of d35's breaking on youtube and ive read multiple stories of people breaking them a number of times.. My goal is to have a good looking dd but also a capable offroad jeep. Ive considered regearing the d35 and putting chromoly axle shafts in it but if im going to spend money on that for a little more i might as well just upgrade to an 8.8.

markjolly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-01-2012, 07:25 PM   #2
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Have you actually opened the diff cover and looked at what's going on in there before randomly buying parts?
Unread 05-01-2012, 07:42 PM   #3
markjolly
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Not yet, and i'm not going to randomly buy parts.. Yet. Haha I'm saying i think thats what the problem is.. I don't know what else it could be and after that i tried to lay out some options for myself. And even before i go digging around in the diff and taking it apart i figured id try and get some opinions on the matter first and kind of figure out what i need to do and the bests ways of going about doing that.
Unread 05-01-2012, 07:46 PM   #4
sjones26573
Au revoir, gopher.

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Your first mistake was wheeling 35's on a D35. My 33's scare me on my D35. Hopefully I can get rid of that POS and get a nice 8.8 to build this summer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Clarkson - Top Gear Botswana Special
Why don't all cars have no doors? When I come to power I'm going to make it a rule because this is just better.
sjones26573 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-01-2012, 07:55 PM   #5
markjolly
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Funny you respond ive actually read your entire build and am planning much of mine around yours. Haha and yeah i am at fault for wheelin it with 35's but when your out with your buddies and they tell you no ones been able to climb that hill.. What else am i supposed to do but give my jeep hell and make it up the hill? Which i did.. Axle gave out at the top. 35's were fine as a DD.. But i learned the hard way...
Unread 05-01-2012, 08:28 PM   #6
sjones26573
Au revoir, gopher.

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjolly View Post
Funny you respond ive actually read your entire build and am planning much of mine around yours. Haha and yeah i am at fault for wheelin it with 35's but when your out with your buddies and they tell you no ones been able to climb that hill.. What else am i supposed to do but give my jeep hell and make it up the hill? Which i did.. Axle gave out at the top. 35's were fine as a DD.. But i learned the hard way...
Haha been there, done that. Had to prove my buddy in his Yota that he wasn't hot **** for climbing a 50ft hill in 5 tries. I did it in 1. But the more I've learned, the more I wish I had planned carefully. Satisfied with my lift but I wish I had gone for axles first and had them ready with a 4.88 ratio when it was time to lift. But I'm getting there. Learning is half the battle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Clarkson - Top Gear Botswana Special
Why don't all cars have no doors? When I come to power I'm going to make it a rule because this is just better.
sjones26573 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-01-2012, 10:51 PM   #7
JeepinJeremy
1992 YJ Wrangler 

broken pinions are common on the dana 35's and even if you only broke a spider gear or shaft you most likely destroyed the ring and pinion, cracked the carrier all kinds of cool stuff could have happened. Time to upgrade dude probably cost the same to rebuild that one. A used 8.8 out here with tj brackets welded go for around 500-700 depending on gears ready to bolt in. It may be cheaper for you to find a used axle or even a complete 44 out of a TJ and swap that in
JeepinJeremy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-02-2012, 05:20 AM   #8
markjolly
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjones26573

Haha been there, done that. Had to prove my buddy in his Yota that he wasn't hot **** for climbing a 50ft hill in 5 tries. I did it in 1. But the more I've learned, the more I wish I had planned carefully. Satisfied with my lift but I wish I had gone for axles first and had them ready with a 4.88 ratio when it was time to lift. But I'm getting there. Learning is half the battle.
Exactly. Haha I'm learning the hard way though.. But learning none the less.
Unread 05-02-2012, 05:24 AM   #9
markjolly
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepinJeremy
broken pinions are common on the dana 35's and even if you only broke a spider gear or shaft you most likely destroyed the ring and pinion, cracked the carrier all kinds of cool stuff could have happened. Time to upgrade dude probably cost the same to rebuild that one. A used 8.8 out here with tj brackets welded go for around 500-700 depending on gears ready to bolt in. It may be cheaper for you to find a used axle or even a complete 44 out of a TJ and swap that in
What do you think would be the best thing for me to do right now? I want to get it back running as a DD and it is drivable in 4H the only time i have trouble is cornering. Which is why i think it is in fact the spiders. For around $75 i can replace most of whats in the diff. Im gonna call my buddy this weekend and try and see if i can get it in the garage and tear down the rear diff to see whats really goin on.
Unread 05-02-2012, 09:06 AM   #10
JeepinJeremy
1992 YJ Wrangler 

What you need to do is quit driving it and pop the cover off. Find out whats bad before your bind up that rear drive shaft and either bend your t-case output shaft or break it, same with the axle shafts, if one of those break out slided your axle and your wheel falls off. Your front axle was never designed to be used as a front wheel drive axle. you have cornering issuse because your axle joints are binding while turning, they do this in 4h as well but are not as noticable since most of the power is transfered to the rear wheels. I'm sure once the problem is fixed in the rear axle everything will work as it did before.
Unread 05-02-2012, 09:12 AM   #11
markjolly
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
What you need to do is quit driving it and pop the cover off. Find out whats bad before your bind up that rear drive shaft and either bend your t-case output shaft or break it, same with the axle shafts, if one of those break out slided your axle and your wheel falls off. Your front axle was never designed to be used as a front wheel drive axle. you have cornering issuse because your axle joints are binding while turning, they do this in 4h as well but are not as noticable since most of the power is transfered to the rear wheels. I'm sure once the problem is fixed in the rear axle everything will work as it did before.
Im currently not driving it.. Its sitting in the driveway until i get paid. And thats what i plan on doing this weekend is going through it and seeing what all is wrong. Thank you for the explanation though. When i take it apart what should i look for?
Unread 05-02-2012, 09:26 AM   #12
JeepinJeremy
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I'm sure once you open it all kinds of metal will fall out. Clean everything out with some brake cleaner and start there.
Unread 05-02-2012, 09:59 AM   #13
markjolly
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I'm sure once you open it all kinds of metal will fall out. Clean everything out with some brake cleaner and start there.
Yeah thats was i was expecting... When i bought the jeep from the PO it had been sitting for a long time idk when the last time maintenance was done on the diff...
Unread 05-02-2012, 10:02 AM   #14
JeepinJeremy
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Check your local craigslist I bet you can find a complete dana35 cheap they go for around $150.00 here
Unread 05-02-2012, 10:15 AM   #15
markjolly
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Alright. Ive checked ebay for complete gear sets for a d35. Havnt checked craigslist though.. I will, but the problem is theres not that many people that wheel around here or that have jeeps. Ive been looking in junkyards for a tj i can pull a backseat out of and its been surprisingly hard to find one..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.