High rev to start moving from startup?? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > High rev to start moving from startup??

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank Skid

Unread 11-03-2013, 09:43 PM   #1
99WJCHRIS
1999 WJ 

High rev to start moving from startup??

Be noticed that when I get in my jeep in the morning and start it I put it in drive or reverse and I have to get the engine up to sometimes 2500 rpm's before the jeep starts to move. It seams to run fine after that but it's just that first move after startup that it's doing it. I'm thinking its cold ATF and after it gets moving and warms up its fine but wanted some other peoples insight on it. What of y'all think? (99 WJ, 4.0, Automatic transmission)

Unread 11-04-2013, 07:40 PM   #2
WhiteMtnJeep
The Punk Made My Day.....

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Sounds like "delayed engagement". Revving to 2500 to get it going is not good for your trans. Mine does the same thing. I let it idle for a few minutes before going. If I can't let it idle for a few I'll cycle through the gears a couple times and I can usually go without issue.

Journeyman Polyphase Meterman IBEW Local 387

Work with enthusiasm as though you were working for the Lord rather than for man.

http://www.treadlightly.org/

Siena Jeep Owner's Member 25

/l ,[____],
l---L -0lllllll0-

()_) ()_)-O-)_)
WhiteMtnJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2013, 09:47 PM   #3
holysirsalad
1999 XJ Cherokee 

When was the fluid last changed?
holysirsalad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2013, 10:55 AM   #4
zjbeater

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99WJCHRIS View Post
Be noticed that when I get in my jeep in the morning and start it I put it in drive or reverse and I have to get the engine up to sometimes 2500 rpm's before the jeep starts to move. It seams to run fine after that but it's just that first move after startup that it's doing it. I'm thinking its cold ATF and after it gets moving and warms up its fine but wanted some other peoples insight on it. What of y'all think? (99 WJ, 4.0, Automatic transmission)
Mine started that way then it slowly started doing it every time I went off the line the trans is burning itself up it is a commen prob with the grand Cherokee
zjbeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2013, 10:59 AM   #5
99WJCHRIS
1999 WJ 

Fluid was drained and new fluid and filter put in less than 5k miles ago. It did it before the change. I was hoping the change would fix it. Seems like it's only cold days where it hasn't been run in a few hours or days and everything is cold.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.