HELP What causing downshifting? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > HELP What causing downshifting?

Labor Day Sale!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 09-20-2012, 04:04 PM   #1
papadon99
1998 FSJ Cherokee 

HELP What causing downshifting?

98 Grand cherokee Laredo, 4.0l engine and auto transmission (42RE)

When going down highway after @ 30miles, will shift down to 3rd and stays there. What could be causing this? Mechanic said Transmission itself is ok. Sensors maybe? Which ones?

HELP!!!
TY ahead of time!!

Last edited by papadon99; 09-20-2012 at 05:42 PM..
papadon99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2012, 05:41 PM   #2
papadon99
1998 FSJ Cherokee 

OOps, sorry!
papadon99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2012, 01:47 AM   #3
seattle_yj
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by papadon99 View Post
98 Grand cherokee Laredo, 4.0l engine and auto transmission (42RE)

When going down highway after @ 30miles, will shift down to 3rd and stays there. What could be causing this? Mechanic said Transmission itself is ok. Sensors maybe? Which ones?

HELP!!!
TY ahead of time!!
The throttle cable might need adjustment. I would start there.
seattle_yj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2012, 09:50 AM   #4
seattle_yj
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I was reading through my FSM last night and came across this issue in the diagnostics section. When I get back to my computer I will post that info here.
seattle_yj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2012, 09:49 PM   #5
jnicewan
1995 ZJ 

T/V cable adjustment is very important but that shouldnt be an issue for O/D or T/C lock (Torque Converter lock-up).

First off can you verify if its downshifting into 3rd, or is the T/C just unlocking. Also when it happens try hitting the O/D cancel switch a see what happens. If it is in 3rd gear then you should notice the T/C locking in 3rd ( T/C only locks 3rd when O/D is cancelled with the button)

What is probably the heaviest influence in T/C lock up and O/D shifting as far as external trans concerns/sensors is the TP sensor, also if its just T/C lock up problems I would check the brake lamp switch too. If the brake lamp switch is coming on or is real sensitive to come on then it could be unlocking the T/C
jnicewan is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.