Help please...stripped out a hole on head - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Help please...stripped out a hole on head

Bead Lock Wheels! Raceline, Trail Ready, & Trail-Gear2007-2014 Jeep Wrangler Black (Paint to Match) Grille2007-2014 Jeep Wrangler Black Sun Shade (Rugged Ridge)

Unread 04-11-2004, 11:17 AM   #1
Baloo
Go Tigers!

1982 CJ7 

Help please...stripped out a hole on head

Happy Easter everyone. Unhappy for me. I worked all day yesterday cleaning up the hoses in my engine bay, putting on a coolant overflow bottle, and replacing the leaking header/intake gasket. Today all I had left to do was tighten the header/intake bolts and reattach the power steering bracket and pump.

When I was tightening one of the bolts for header/intake it popped back out and the hole is sufficiently stripped now. What should I do? This makes my third time of having to change that gasket and it's no wonder that one of them finally stripped. I've never experienced this and I do not know what to do now.

HELP please...
Thanks,
Elliott

Blue Jeep Club Member #1
Baloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2004, 11:55 AM   #2
MSHarnett
Broke Bogger

The bolt is stripped or the hole. The only thing I can think of would be to re tap the hole and use a larger bolt. Find out what size bolt you have now, and get the next size up tap, make the hole and use that bolt.

I guess if you were impatient, you could get weld happy and start putting beads all over, haha, but thats kinda permentant.
Unread 04-11-2004, 01:46 PM   #3
Baloo
Go Tigers!

1982 CJ7 

It's the hole that is stripped. But, I stuck a little screw driver in it to see how deep it was...turns out, I've got another 1/4 to 3/8 of an inch of good threads in there. I just got back from Lowe's with some new studs, lockwashers, nuts, and locktite. Hopefully I can get studs in all of the holes so that this doesn't happen again. I just know I'll blow out another header gasket, seems like it happens every 6 months.

wish me luck.

E

Blue Jeep Club Member #1
Unread 04-11-2004, 03:49 PM   #4
Baloo
Go Tigers!

1982 CJ7 

I just got the studs in with loctite on em. I cleaned out the holes thoroughly beforehand. Have to wait 24hrs before the loctite fully cures. Hopefully tomorrow I will have it back together I should have put studs in the head the first time I changed the header/intake gasket, oh well.

E

Blue Jeep Club Member #1
Unread 04-12-2004, 12:02 AM   #5
Water Harley

Heli-coil,Heli-coil,Heli-coil,I know its a pain to drop the manifolds again but its well worth it to fix it right. Just take the bolt to the auto parts store and ask for a heli-coil kit for the size of bolt.It will come with a drill bit,tap,heli-coil install tool and heli-coils.Just drill out the hole tap the hole use the install tool to insert the heli-coil and presto just like new.Oh yeah the tab on the heli-coil must be broken off (small screwdriver)and taken out of the hole,and use lubricant during the drilling and tapping.This will last forever because the heli-coil is harder the the cast iron head.I've been wrenching on the Big Brown Trucks for a long time and this is a common use item.
Water Harley is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.