Help please...stripped out a hole on head - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Help please...stripped out a hole on head

ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail 99-04 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo Dark Headlights Clear Cor99-04 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo Chrome Headlights

Unread 04-11-2004, 12:17 PM   #1
Baloo
Go Tigers!

1982 CJ7 

Help please...stripped out a hole on head

Happy Easter everyone. Unhappy for me. I worked all day yesterday cleaning up the hoses in my engine bay, putting on a coolant overflow bottle, and replacing the leaking header/intake gasket. Today all I had left to do was tighten the header/intake bolts and reattach the power steering bracket and pump.

When I was tightening one of the bolts for header/intake it popped back out and the hole is sufficiently stripped now. What should I do? This makes my third time of having to change that gasket and it's no wonder that one of them finally stripped. I've never experienced this and I do not know what to do now.

HELP please...
Thanks,
Elliott

Blue Jeep Club Member #1
Baloo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-11-2004, 12:55 PM   #2
MSHarnett
Broke Bogger

The bolt is stripped or the hole. The only thing I can think of would be to re tap the hole and use a larger bolt. Find out what size bolt you have now, and get the next size up tap, make the hole and use that bolt.

I guess if you were impatient, you could get weld happy and start putting beads all over, haha, but thats kinda permentant.
Unread 04-11-2004, 02:46 PM   #3
Baloo
Go Tigers!

1982 CJ7 

It's the hole that is stripped. But, I stuck a little screw driver in it to see how deep it was...turns out, I've got another 1/4 to 3/8 of an inch of good threads in there. I just got back from Lowe's with some new studs, lockwashers, nuts, and locktite. Hopefully I can get studs in all of the holes so that this doesn't happen again. I just know I'll blow out another header gasket, seems like it happens every 6 months.

wish me luck.

E

Blue Jeep Club Member #1
Unread 04-11-2004, 04:49 PM   #4
Baloo
Go Tigers!

1982 CJ7 

I just got the studs in with loctite on em. I cleaned out the holes thoroughly beforehand. Have to wait 24hrs before the loctite fully cures. Hopefully tomorrow I will have it back together I should have put studs in the head the first time I changed the header/intake gasket, oh well.

E

Blue Jeep Club Member #1
Unread 04-12-2004, 01:02 AM   #5
Water Harley

Heli-coil,Heli-coil,Heli-coil,I know its a pain to drop the manifolds again but its well worth it to fix it right. Just take the bolt to the auto parts store and ask for a heli-coil kit for the size of bolt.It will come with a drill bit,tap,heli-coil install tool and heli-coils.Just drill out the hole tap the hole use the install tool to insert the heli-coil and presto just like new.Oh yeah the tab on the heli-coil must be broken off (small screwdriver)and taken out of the hole,and use lubricant during the drilling and tapping.This will last forever because the heli-coil is harder the the cast iron head.I've been wrenching on the Big Brown Trucks for a long time and this is a common use item.
Water Harley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.