help please - engine swap - engine upgrade - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > help please - engine swap - engine upgrade

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineZone Offroad Body and Suspension Lift Kits, Brackets, DiscBilstein Shock Upgrade Kits, Jeep JK TJ XJ Wranglers and C

Unread 09-11-2012, 04:33 PM   #1
jwood883
1997 YJ Wrangler 

help please - engine swap - engine upgrade

alright, i got my first jeep about 5 months ago, i picked up a '97 tj wrangler se, has the 2.5L in it. i have been looking into doing an engine swap for the 4.0L but it looks like a lot, different trans, wiring, motor mounts, ect...

any suggestions on that would be nice please.

in the mean time, how can i make my 2.5L less lazy. are there any quick fixes, bolt on parts, ect i can do. its got 92k on it, runs good just lazy since its 4 cylinder. suggests please!

jwood883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2012, 05:09 PM   #2
1SASjeepster
1992 YJ Wrangler 

jwood,

Your jeep four banger is not lazy, it is just a four cylinder. It was never designed for huge tires and the multiple suspension changes that are done today. It was designed to move the jeep from point A to point B. If you need more "power" the cheapest thing to do is to regear to 4.88. This will allow you to feel like you are moving again. If you want to do the swap to the inline six, it is more than you realize. If you have a donor vehicle, great. But it is a lot of work if you have never worked on vehicles before.

You may want to look up NOVAK JEEP CONVERSIONS on the internet. They have all kinds of information for you about jeep conversions.

Please don't misunderstand me, I am not trying to dissuade you from this project. I have put a Chevy V6 in my YJ because I owned the V6 and an inline jeep is too long an engine in the engine compartment. Yes, it fits but working on it is a pain. A V6 engine fits so beautifully and has so much room to work on it, but again, if you have a donor vehicle then its a moot point. I have over thirty years working on vehicles, old and new. I am still learning but that is a lot of experience in the mechanical field... tinkering to full blown rebuilds. What you want to do can be done by you, if you take your time and don't rush it. Some jeepers just slap it together and that is it. When it blows apart a few months down the line, they ***** and whine "why did it happen?" Take your time, take plenty of digital photos with a real digital camera, not your cell phone and store them on your computer. They will help you put it all back together BECAUSE YOU WILL FORGET HOW SOME OF IT GOES TOGETHER. Be patient and do it right and your vehicle should last the next 100,000 miles.

Take care,

Check out "WWII Jeep Photos AND Restoration of..." if you want to see the original JEEP in action...
1SASjeepster is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.