Help! New head on '98 XJ - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Help! New head on '98 XJ

Oconee Off-Road Now Offering Zone Off-Road Products!!!Advance Adapters SYE KitsKOR Labor Week Sale and Giveaway

Unread 08-28-2012, 10:50 AM   #1
JonDietz
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Help! New head on '98 XJ

I am installing a new head on my 1998 Jeep XJ, I have looked around several forums and cannot find what I am looking for. I have the head bolt torque pattern and so on but is there any adjusting that needs to be done to the push rods and rocker arms when installing a new head? I have done work on a Harley and I had to turn the motor over to top dead center on each cylinder... not entirely sure and DO NOT wanna blow up my new head.

JonDietz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-30-2012, 07:59 PM   #2
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonDietz View Post
I am installing a new head on my 1998 Jeep XJ, I have looked around several forums and cannot find what I am looking for. I have the head bolt torque pattern and so on but is there any adjusting that needs to be done to the push rods and rocker arms when installing a new head? I have done work on a Harley and I had to turn the motor over to top dead center on each cylinder... not entirely sure and DO NOT wanna blow up my new head.
When you remove the valve cover to start the head removal you will see the tops of the push rods with the rockers on top then pivot assemblies and last but not least the bridge that holds them in place using to bolts.
KEEP THEM IN THE EXACT ORDER YOU REMOVE THEM.

Installation is the reverse procedure. Tighten them down ONE TURN AT A TIME until you hit the torque value of 21 ft lbs. No engine rotation is needed.

I would use engine assembly lube of some sort and coat all the friction points during assembly.
I'll post a picture in a minute.

Getting older, I have developed some special skills. I have the ability to cough, sneeze, fart and pee at the same time.

"If we cannot afford to take care of Veterans, then we should stop making them."
David C. Wilker Jr. USAF (RET)
laybackman is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2012, 12:07 PM   #3
Matt The Hammer
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Are the pivot assemblies directional? There is a groove for oil on them. They aren't parallel. One side is wider between the grooves than the other.

The FSM didn't specify which way to orient them. I didn't realize they were directional until I removed the last one.

Thanks.
Unread 10-01-2012, 02:55 PM   #4
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt The Hammer View Post
Are the pivot assemblies directional? There is a groove for oil on them. They aren't parallel. One side is wider between the grooves than the other.

The FSM didn't specify which way to orient them. I didn't realize they were directional until I removed the last one.

Thanks.
Why do I think the grooves furthest apart faces the pushrod IF the FSM picture is what I think it is showing?

I replaced my head because it cracked. During the teardown I pulled each set of rocker bridges/pivot assemblies off, cleaned them and put them back together again without changing the orientation.

I would check out the rocker assemblies. There must be a section that has no wear marks from friction. That is where the 'dent' in the pivot assemblies would ride I would think.

Getting older, I have developed some special skills. I have the ability to cough, sneeze, fart and pee at the same time.

"If we cannot afford to take care of Veterans, then we should stop making them."
Unread 10-01-2012, 03:00 PM   #5
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Check out figure #1

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/rep...00c1528008a96c

Unread 10-03-2012, 01:31 PM   #6
Matt The Hammer
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks. I didn't try to re-assemble it yet. Maybe, like you said in your first reply, there is a non wear spot. When I disassembled it, I put each rocker assembly in it's own bag, so I lost the exact orientation of the assembly because the FSM didn't mention saving it - only the other items. Obviously the push rods, rockers and even each bolt (head, cover, assembly) were saved in order.

Used that classic trick I learned of 'Wheeler Dealers' where you push each removed bolt through a piece of cardboard with a drawing of the engine on it. Funny to have a few pieces of cardboard with bolts going through them laying around.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.