Help me un-do part of a cone filter setup! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Help me un-do part of a cone filter setup!

The NEW Revolution Gear and Axle from 4LowParts.comTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15”/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 08-05-2005, 03:50 AM   #1
opticalwaveguy
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Help me un-do part of a cone filter setup!

I want to keep the high rise intake but had this concern about the set-up. coorsmgood pointed out that not having a line to vacuum out the exhaust gases unter the head cover might be damaging which makes sense to me.

Look at this pic and let me know if there is any problem with taking the 2 small cone filters and replacing them with a standard vacuum line:

Note: I am replacing the main cone filter with a custom box for the original style filters.

Proud To Be A FF/EMT/Police/Military Club Member #2
opticalwaveguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2005, 05:37 PM   #2
digibus

You really could go either way, the line is there more to vent crank case gases and pressure more than vaccum them away. The only thing is you might need to change the breather on a regular basis (maybe like every two or three oil changes) since it will inevitably get clogged with oil. So it might be better to go with the hose as far as your wallet is concerned, or if you think it looks better with the breather filters then go that way. I say it's up to personal preferance. I put on a breather on the crankcase and opted to cut the connection point on my CAI tube. I put the IAT sensor in there at first, but after I got the larger injectors and the Apexi SAFC2, I relocated the IAT sensor to the stock position and intstalled the jet for my alcohol injection setup in it's place on the CAI tube.
[B]1999 4.0 WJ Limited [/B] NX Wet EFI Kit;HESCO Head, Cam and Water Pump;Apexi SAFC2;Accel 24lb injectors;K&N FIPK; 2.5" Dynomax Ultraflow SS Exhaust; Dynatech Cat; Banks SS header;Custom 3" Head Pipe;E Cut-out;62mm TB & Spacer; MSD DIS-4; Jet 180°stat;H&R springs;Eibach Sway Bars;Brembo Rotors; Streetscene grill;E.L. Dash ; Autometer C2 EGT, N2O & Fuel Pressure;Edlebrock A:F Meter
digibus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2005, 05:21 AM   #3
opticalwaveguy
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by digibus
You really could go either way, the line is there more to vent crank case gases and pressure more than vaccum them away. The only thing is you might need to change the breather on a regular basis (maybe like every two or three oil changes) since it will inevitably get clogged with oil. So it might be better to go with the hose as far as your wallet is concerned, or if you think it looks better with the breather filters then go that way. I say it's up to personal preferance. I put on a breather on the crankcase and opted to cut the connection point on my CAI tube. I put the IAT sensor in there at first, but after I got the larger injectors and the Apexi SAFC2, I relocated the IAT sensor to the stock position and intstalled the jet for my alcohol injection setup in it's place on the CAI tube.
Are you running a stroker? Why the alcohol? (I'm assuming for compression/ pre-det reasons)
And another ?: What gains are you finding with the SAFC II, or did you need something that better mapped out your mix with your engine setup?
Sorry if this is
Proud To Be A FF/EMT/Police/Military Club Member #2
opticalwaveguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2005, 02:50 PM   #4
digibus

Sorry it took me so long to get back I've been very buisy lately.

Not running a stroker.....yet. I am building the engine up one step at a time on my back patio. I had the block bored to a full 4.00" to accomodate the forged Chevy350 pistons that will go in there. I still have quite a few more parts left to get and the progress is slow but steady and I should have the 4.8 stroker engine up and running by the end of the year.

As far as the alcohol/water injection, I had a nice inline water pump just laying around so I built it myself from info I found online. I did it for pretty chep but thought I would get a little more performance out of it than I did. I also am planning on doing some type of forced induction in the future. I had planned on doing that before the stroker so I went ahead and built the meth injection system first. It did give me a little more hp similar to the extra performance you get on a cold morning due to hte colder air charge. Right now I am not using it as I have not gotten a direct answer from Nitrous Express about using it inline with one of there N2O nozzles in the intake tube.

I really only saw minimal gains from the SAFC2 the main reason I got it was to dial in the fuel curve for the nitrous and the oversized injectors. The nitrous setup was running a little on the rich side even after I installed a pressure controller and the MAP adjuster I had would not let me get accurate enough.
[B]1999 4.0 WJ Limited [/B] NX Wet EFI Kit;HESCO Head, Cam and Water Pump;Apexi SAFC2;Accel 24lb injectors;K&N FIPK; 2.5" Dynomax Ultraflow SS Exhaust; Dynatech Cat; Banks SS header;Custom 3" Head Pipe;E Cut-out;62mm TB & Spacer; MSD DIS-4; Jet 180°stat;H&R springs;Eibach Sway Bars;Brembo Rotors; Streetscene grill;E.L. Dash ; Autometer C2 EGT, N2O & Fuel Pressure;Edlebrock A:F Meter
digibus is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.