Help!!!! Jeep tries to die while driving - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Help!!!! Jeep tries to die while driving

New Hours at RUFFSTUFF!Enjoy 5% off in April 2000-2006 Jeep Wrangler Ignition CoiEnjoy 5% off in April 1997-2006 Jeep Wrangler Door Weather

Unread 03-31-2015, 07:30 AM   #1
Malary

Help!!!! Jeep tries to die while driving

Ok so here's the deal I have a 97 TJ 2.5 automatic. I start it in the mornings and let it run for about 10 mins before leaving. It sits there and idles fine, or at least I think it does. I usually go back inside while I wait for it to warm up and it's still running when I come back so I'm assuming it's running fine. I get in it and start driving. All seems fine. Then I get behind a slow car so Im no longer really pushing the gas just coasting, the jeep starts to jerk like it's not getting gas and wants to die. I push the gas down and its fine again. While it's doing this jerking the battery, rpm and fuel gas go crazy. And engine light flutters like it wants to come on but doesn't. I just recently had an engine light that was for the bank one sensor one O2 sensor. So I got a new one and replaced it. It did this same jerking around before I got the sensor changed so I figured that was why it was doing that, changed the sensor and it ran fine all day the next day. Now 2 days after the sensor change its having the issues again. Another issues. All this has happened on my 15 min drive to work. The jerking and all of not pushing the gas. But I can sit at a red light holding the brake and it runs fine. No jerking. Anyways I go to turn into my work, I slow down to get in the turning Lane and it backfires so loud I'm sure it prolly shot flames like 4 feet out. (Didn't see it, just guessing from the sound it made) I stomp the gas to make it up the hill at my work. Get up the hill and slow down to get into the parking lot. Pull up into my spot and the jeep dies. Shuts off. I sit there there pissed. And call my husband. He says see if it will start again. It starts right up. Someone please tell me what's going on. I'm stumped.

Malary is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-31-2015, 07:51 AM   #2
Malary

Someone please help. Idk what's going on with it. And don't even know where to start on trying to figure it out.
Malary is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-01-2015, 08:51 PM   #3
pshivers
2008 KK Liberty 

Unplug the O2 sensor and see how it drives. It might not like the brand of sensor you installed. Your CEL will come on, but the jeep will remain in open loop. Just an idea. Also, if you throw it in neutral while coasting, how does it behave?
pshivers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.