help, having trouble w/ my 8.8 - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 01-23-2007, 07:43 PM Thread Starter
jipjip

help, having trouble w/ my 8.8

i installed the 8.8 in my rig about 5 months ago. it has served me well, but from day one, it has had play in the gears (not sure where from). it does not seem to be getting any worse, but i can move the rear driveshaft almost 1/8 of a turn before any gear engagement is felt. i know it's the rear, but not sure where it's coming from. i havn't opened it up yet, but i was wondering if there are some common problems w/ these rears to cause excessive amounts of play.
it is out of a 97 exlorer, has 4.10 gears, and a lsd carrier. no noise or vibrations are coming from it. just this excessive play, which honestly makes me nervous to wheel.
is there common issues w/ the lsd clutch plates wearing down and causing play, or maybe spider gear thrust washers causing play? i can't see a ring and pinion causing this much play, and there's not slop in the bearings.

HELP!!!

thanx in advance.

95 yj sahara green w/ spice hard and soft top, bikini top,full steel doors, and 2 piece bestop soft doors,tnt customs front tube fenders w/ 6" flare,warn gas tank skid, skidrow oil pan skid,4.0HO,rear 31 spline 8.8 w/ disc brakes,4.10's and lsd,front HP d30 w/ 4.10's and aussie front locker,ax15,np231j w/ jb conversions ss sye, tom woods custom cv d/s,RE 4.5xd,35" toyo open country m/t's, 1" daystar body lift, warn 9.5ti
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 01-29-2007, 05:16 PM
notmyj
1992 YJ Wrangler 

The drive shaft freeplay is directly related to the ring and pinion back lash. if its not getting any worse, and not making any noise you should be fine. Especially if it is a factory gear set from ford. If the gears have been changed then I would have it checked by a good drive line shop. IF you need them I can get you the factory specs on the backlash for the 8.8. Let me know I can help at all.
post #3 of 9 Old 02-06-2007, 01:20 PM
blacktjsport
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I do know that the LSD carriers seem to wear out faster than the open carriers. I dont know if this is the cause of the excessive play or not, but I would have it opened up and checked out before I got stranded in the woods with a busted rear end!! Something seems to tell me that it's the clutch packs in the LSD wearing out but I could be wrong. HTH and the only really way to tell is to open it up and spin the gears and see where the play is coming from.

-Matt

~~2000 Black TJ Sport~~

-Parts list keeps growing...
post #4 of 9 Old 02-06-2007, 03:52 PM Thread Starter
jipjip

yeah, now i have this wierd tinny clicking noise when i take off from a dead stop. it's just getting noisier as i go.

95 yj sahara green w/ spice hard and soft top, bikini top,full steel doors, and 2 piece bestop soft doors,tnt customs front tube fenders w/ 6" flare,warn gas tank skid, skidrow oil pan skid,4.0HO,rear 31 spline 8.8 w/ disc brakes,4.10's and lsd,front HP d30 w/ 4.10's and aussie front locker,ax15,np231j w/ jb conversions ss sye, tom woods custom cv d/s,RE 4.5xd,35" toyo open country m/t's, 1" daystar body lift, warn 9.5ti
post #5 of 9 Old 02-11-2007, 07:58 PM
ORmudslinger

2000 WJ 

Had an 8.8 in a Ford Ranger. Seemed like it had excessive gear play. Mechanic says it was normal for that axle. Far as the clicking that is another story. I did not have a LSD.

Sell crazy somewhere else...we're all stocked up here.

Evil Ike's Offroad
post #6 of 9 Old 02-11-2007, 11:48 PM
jawsgear

Tinging noise could be a bad ujoint. As far as the play, typically Ford OEM gears run at about .012 to .015 in backlash. If you have a stock posi they are known to wear the clutches and cause extra slop as well. I would definatley check it out. Being proactive usually costs you less money in the long run.

Jeff

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/j...r/Banner01.jpg

www.jawsgear.com

We stock a complete line of differential parts for all your offroading needs. Gears, Positractions, Lockers, Axles and more Give us a call and save money on top quality parts.
post #7 of 9 Old 02-20-2007, 11:52 PM
TXjeepTJ

if you have a manual, a little bit of driveshaft play is normal

now if your driving and let off the gas at a low rpm in a low gear and you hear a "clunk clunk clunk"- the sound of the pinion gear using its remaining teeth to grab the ring gear

congrats, you rear end is blown!

shouldnt be the case if you got an 8.8 tho
post #8 of 9 Old 02-21-2007, 08:17 AM
jason m
Nothing but the facts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jipjip
yeah, now i have this wierd tinny clicking noise when i take off from a dead stop. it's just getting noisier as i go.
hurry up and get that 14 bolt, LOL jason.
post #9 of 9 Old 02-21-2007, 09:55 AM Thread Starter
jipjip

none of the above sounds like it's the problem.
i know the clutch plates have a little slop in them, but i've never heard of a tinny noise being made by gears. it could be a broken lsd spring, but that would probably cause noise all the time, and not just when taking off.
i'm going to rip into it tonight, and i'll let you guys know what i find.
thanx for all the help though.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.