HELP! Getting transmission codes in my Grand Cherokee - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > HELP! Getting transmission codes in my Grand Cherokee

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-LoadFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 11-06-2007, 10:00 AM   #1
SilverSlayer

HELP! Getting transmission codes in my Grand Cherokee

This is my first post for my first Grand Cherokee.

I have a 2002 Overland Edition with about 88,000 miles. I am having tranny problems as of yesterday. The Check engine light came on and a code (P0740 Torque Converter clutch circuit malfunction) came up. I reset the code and planned on changing the fluid and filter today to see if it would help. Today on the way home, it locked in 2nd gear for a while and would not shift, and the high speed fan came on. I checked the codes again, and got the same P0740 along with a P0218 (High Temp Operation Activated) and another one that said 49 (See Service Manual). I assume the service manual on has to do with the SPX brand scanner I am using, but I do not have the manual.

My question is, should I waste my time changing the fluid and filter, or try to take it in to see if my extended warranty will cover it (mainly anything internally that touched oil?)

I am planning on going out of town tomorrow,and would really like to know if I could get this taken care of (either fixed or dropped off at the dealer) before I go.

Please help a new Jeep owner. Thanks in advance!

SilverSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-06-2007, 10:14 PM   #2
scott 035
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Warranty

Personaly if you have a warranty start at the dealer. As soon as you touch it that gives them a reason not to cover it. Don't even let them know you have a scanner!
And whatever you do DON'T clear the codes untill it is repaired ! When codes are cleared it also clears what is known as a movie that the PCM or the TCM or the BCM store when a code set's.This move also aids in a quicker repair which means a slightly smaller labor bill.
Unread 01-14-2008, 12:00 PM   #3
mk3cn4

Can you please let us know what fixed it?

Hi, regarding your post 2 months ago about your ZJ code p0740, did you find out what it was? Mine doing EXACT same thing and I need to back up what my mechanic is telling me.

On mine, I am being told that the Torque Converter went bad (causing code p0740, which detects TC lockup based on RPM/speed differential) which then caused debris to plug the Tranny Cooler causing it to heat up (causing same as your second code), and also causing the tranny to enter limp mode where it won't shift into overdrive (your third symptom). Perfect match to your symptoms.

My mechanic is hinting that I need a tranny rebuild because of the debris (almost $2,000), but I am finding it hard to believe since it drives so well otherwise.

My thoughts were that it's just a solenoid, that the overheating part isn't enough to outright pronounce that there's debis throughout the tranny and it needs a rebuild.

Besides, the torque converter itself didn't blow out, just the clutch portion (drives perfectly otherwise except no lockie on the TC on the highway) so at worst there's clutch material blocking my tranny cooler and that material isn't likely enough to require a tranny rebuild, right?

Any pros out there with some advice for me? Any chance the original poster will see this and let me know what their problem was?

Thanks everyone...
mk3cn4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-24-2012, 12:12 PM   #4
rjaargo
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Ok I have had the same problem (look at my post code p0218 trans over temp). I had the trans rebuilt and so on. Jeep is still doing the same thing. I have spent about $2700 in this week alone. Dealer can't seem to find the problem. Not sure what to so next other then a little C4.
rjaargo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.