HELP Getting spark from the coil but nothing out of the plugs or plug wires! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > HELP Getting spark from the coil but nothing out of the plugs or plug wires!

All Bilstein shocks & struts - Lowest Prices Ever and Santa Kolak Announces: Kolak Exhaust 20% Off Sale!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 03-30-2013, 06:39 PM   #1
AllenB
1993 XJ Cherokee 

HELP Getting spark from the coil but nothing out of the plugs or plug wires!

So earlier this week I drove my 93 xj home from work it ran fine. Get in it the next morning all thAt I get is the motor turning and turning.
I got home and took a look replaced hole distributer assembly, plugs, wires because I wasn't getting any spark. After that I'm still stuck with the same problem of spark out of the ignition coil but nothing out of the distributer or the wires too the plugs.
So just to make sure this was the problem I went ahead and replaced the crank position sensor (CPS CKP). Installed and would you know it still same problem.
I'm at a stand still and this is my only vehicle any help at all would be really appreciated. The timing and firing order was double checked last night.
At one point I had another truck hook jumper cables to my battery for more juice and still nothing.
help!

AllenB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-30-2013, 07:11 PM   #2
WhiteMtnJeep
The Punk Made My Day.....

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Bad Dist rotor?

Journeyman Polyphase Meterman IBEW Local 387

Work with enthusiasm as though you were working for the Lord rather than for man.

http://www.treadlightly.org/

Siena Jeep Owner's Member 25

/l ,[____],
l---L -0lllllll0-

()_) ()_)-O-)_)
WhiteMtnJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-01-2013, 06:43 PM   #3
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Are you saying that you have a good strong spark leaving the coil and traveling though the coil wire to the center of the distributor?

But nothing comes out of the plug wires?

Is the rotor turning? Pull the cap hit the key and see if it is turning.

If what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger, I should be able to bench press a Grand Cherokee by now!
laybackman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-02-2013, 11:08 AM   #4
chainz
1976 CJ5 

Check your ground circuit from your heads to the battery and clean it up I feel that might fix your problem, at least try it before you throw money at it.
chainz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-02-2013, 07:16 PM   #5
WhiteMtnJeep
The Punk Made My Day.....

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FernBchJeep View Post
Bad Dist rotor?
Take the distributor cap off and check your rotor. If it has any cracks in the body it is bad. Check continuity from the center to the tip, if there is none it is bad. And make sure the button in the center of the dist cap (inside) is there and not stuck pushed in.

Journeyman Polyphase Meterman IBEW Local 387

Work with enthusiasm as though you were working for the Lord rather than for man.

http://www.treadlightly.org/

Siena Jeep Owner's Member 25

/l ,[____],
l---L -0lllllll0-

()_) ()_)-O-)_)
WhiteMtnJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-03-2013, 03:20 AM   #6
mmerlinn

If your rotor does not turn when you crank the engine, you could have a stripped gear driving the distributor or a sheared pin holding the driven gear on the distributor shaft.
mmerlinn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.